Pacifica 012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 012

Purchased from: A local music store

This was my first electric guitar, it has a good distortion sound but I don't like the clean sound, I must lower the volume on the guitar and higher the amp volume in order to get the acoustic sound, this is annoying when playing a song. This guitar suits differents rock genres like hard rock, metal, soft rock or punk rock, but not songs as Metallica or Slipknot that are my favorites, that's why I am saving on but another guitar to play heavy metal.

I compare this guitar with the Squier by Fender. Has the same Strat shape and almost the same sound. I have been playing spanish guitar for 3 years and electric for almost one year, it really is a good beginner guitar but when you nail techniques you will want to change to another one that will suit your style. If it were stolen or lost I would replace it with another guitar with a higher budget and better sound. Is a good guitar to practice, very comfortable, soft and fast guitar. But I must say, for the price is a very good guitar.

I will soon get an ESP/LTD, on stage I have no choice but to bring this guitar as a backup one. The guitar seems to last long but not the Switch, is not "well made" (at least on my guitar). It never have broken a string. I have used this guitar only once in a gig, I had no problem with it nor setting it up. It does not gives problem in tuning, it stays in tune for about three days or two depending on the use, I use this guitar for practice all days for about one hour or more.

This guitar doesn't have a year with me, now I'm having problems with the Switch, when I put the guitar on clean the guitar mutes out completly sometimes and when I Switch from clean to distortion it stays on clean. The tremolo system makes the strings go out of tune (for some reason not the factory strings). I like the strings thru body, it is easy to change strings.

This guitar comes with a 5 mode Switch, including distortion and clean sound; and Vintage Tremolo. Comes with 22 frets and with the naple neck. It has 2 single coil pickups and one humbucking pickup. Has one master volume control and master tone control. Has a scale length of 25 1/2" = 648mm and a radius of 3 3/4" = 350mm.