Pacifica 012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 012

A pretty solid sound, a little noisy with too much distortion, especially with the single coils. However, after some experiece this guitar is easily modified and the pickups are as easy to replace as any guitar on the market, making this guitar a much better deal.

I've been playing for about 8 years now and I am a music major in college, guitar being my primary instrument. I am proud to say that this was my first guitar, and now with some modifications done (pickup replacement, Fender 5 way Switch being the most important) I use it to play hard rock. This is one of my favorite styles of guitar I've played and I wish Yamaha would make more than just a few versions of the Pacifica series. If I were to lose this guitar I would most definately buy another. For the price they run for I don't see how you could one up!

The biggest problem with this guitar is the pickup switch. Yamaha uses a cheap switch system which can go bad or bend (for me it happened after about a year) to the point where to get the signal through I had to jam a pick into the pckup switch. They are easily replaced and only cost about 10 USD a piece. Also it is very simple to replace the pickup switch with the Fender 5 way switches which are much more durable. Other than that, I've had no problems.

This guitar is one of the most solid guitars I've ever played straight from the factory. They come very well set up with no buzz. The pickups were aligned perfectly. The dark metallic blue finish was a beautiful touch (if only other guitars came in this color, I think)

A simple Strat like style guitar which is great for beginners. Two single coil pickups and fronted by a humbucker makes it a quite versitile guitar, so again it is great for beginners Who do not know what they are really looking for yet. Also it stays simple with a 5 way Switch, 1 volume and 1 tone control.