Pacifica 012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 012

Purchased from: Kim's Intl.

Tone and sound is very diverse. Great for Rock, Metal, Blues, and Jazz, you name it, just need to make it sound the way you want. For example, I want a hard metal sound and bright solos, so I turn on the Bridge pickup, equip this axe with GHS GB-TNT .10-.52 Thick N Thin strings, plug my distortion pedal, and mess with my amp to get the sound I want. I use a Yamaha GA15 15 watt practice amp equipped with a Danelectro Fab Metal distortion pedal for home practice, and a Line 6 Spider IV 30 watt amp for band practice and gigs. It sounds great with both amps. Turning on the middle and neck pickup while on the clean channel and strumming between the pickups creates a very good Acoustic sound. Humbucker is a little noisy, single coils have quite a bit of hum. I'm pretty sure it can achieve your sound demands if you mod it.

This guitar is very suitable for my style of music, which is Metal, with the right mods. I've had it for about 8 months, and my other gear is listed above. If it were lost or stolen, I would get something else, because I need to step up from beginner gear, but I would buy it again later on. I love the playability and durability. One thing I DO have to point out though is the poor accessories that came with it. The strap is okay, but the picks are slippery and weak, the cable didn't last me very long, and the amp drowns the guitar's tone, which is why I use my distortion pedal. Still, I love the neck; it is very easy to play. Of course, it would be better for me with active EMG pickups, but it wasn't meant to be a metal guitar necessarily, it was mean to be a diverse guitar, and it has succeeded in that. Overall, I highly recommend this guitar to any beginner for whatever style you play. Thanks for reading this review, hope it helps!

I have played a few 2-3 song gigs with my band who has practice regularly, and this guitar has withstood lots of careful, smooth playing and handling. I've had it for about 8 months and it hasn't failed me. The strap buttons have never given me a problem, and the hardware seems like it would last my whole career. I can always depend on my guitar, I played it through difficult and fun times, never has it failed me. I have used it at gigs without a backup, but I don't plan to because I'm looking to buy another guitar. However, I will play both at gigs. The finish stays spotless if taken care of; scratches are visible only in bright light. I would never give up my guitar :)

This guitar is decently set up at the factory, better than most beginner guitars and WAY better than Squiers. The pickups look and sound the way they should. There were no defects when I got this guitar, but the strings tend to go slightly out of tune often. However, this can be normal for new strings that need to stretch. The playability is very good; the fretboard is smooth and comfortable, the neck strong and resistant. I enjoy playing this guitar and have gotten positive feedback on the playability from fellow guitarists. I've owned this guitar for about 8 months now, and one defect I do have to point out is a poorly glued nut, which fell off after replacing all my strings about a month ago. Another slight flaw is that after using the tremolo alot, it begins to go inward. To me, this is an advantage, as I can acheive the effect of a Floyd Rose tremolo, as it can go both inward and outward. It's up to the player, really. I love this guitar.

First off I bought the Gigmaker Beginner Package; the individual guitar costs $180 at Guitar Center. This guitar was made in Indonesia; not sure what year. It has 22 medium frets, medium-scale Maple neck, Sonokeling fretboard (looks and feels like Rosewood), Agathis Strat-type laminated body, chrome hardware, and a plain finish that comes in black, red, or blue, all with a white pickguard. A Vintage Tremolo Bridge is installed, along with passive pickups. They include one humbucker as the Bridge pickup and two single-coils as the middle and neck pickups. Controls are one tone knob and one volume knob with a 5-way selector switch. The tuners are made by Yamaha and are non-locking. The beginner package which comes with a gig bag, strap, Yamaha GA15 15 watt practice amp, guitar cable, extra picks, adjustment tools, removable whammy bar, and extra strings. Perfect for the beginner guitarist.