Pacifica 012 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 012

Purchased from: Furtados, India

I play metal and rock. Generally songs from bands like KISS, AC/DC, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. The guitar fits in nicely with this genres albeit the sustain on this guitar is pretty weak. The guitar is made for fast rhythm action. The neck is thin and smooth. Even playing lead on this guitar feels and sounds great though pulling off pinch harmonics can be tough. It sounds pretty great on the clean channel too. If you can get the settings right, the guitar is capable of giving you a rich and bright clean sound. I am using a crappy Marshall MG10CD and a Boss DS1 Distortion pedal. Pretty low end but I am just a beginner (playing since last three years, taking it seriously since only the last six months!). The guitar, if used with the correct amp and with correct accessories can be pretty silent but with my small Marshall, the guitar is very noisy. It is a pretty versatile guitar. It can handle metal to pop and any genre in between.

For a first guitar, this is perfect. It's cheap, sounds okay, is versatile and dependable. I have no regrets with this purchase. Sure, it can't compare to expensive models but it was meant to be a value for money beginner guitar and that's what it is! If you are looking for the perfect first electric guitar and are on a limited budget, then by all means check this guitar out. It won't let you down.

I have played a few live shows with this guitar and it hasn't let me down. The hardware is decent and it hasn't shown any signs of damage in my two odd years of usage. The strap buttons can come loose now and then but it's very easy to tighten them up. The guitar is dependable but I don't think I would use it for longer shows (40+ minutes of playing) without a back-up.

When I got this guitar, it was perfectly set-up and ready to play. The pickups were adjusted nicely. The guitar can be comfortable for anyone. I have huge hands and I have no problem at all playing fast rhythms with palm muting on this guitar. My hand rests comfortably while playing. The guitar was in top condition too. No scratches, no loose tuning pegs or strap holders or rusted hardware.

I don't know where or when it was made. It has 22 frets and the neck is made of Maple while the body is Agathis. It has a bolt on neck and a Vintage Tremolo bridge. A HSS pick up setup with a 5 way selector Switch and volume and tone knobs. It's a Strat style guitar. The stock pickups are passive, as expected from a budget guitar. Non-locking tuners. Overall, it's a pretty sweet deal for the price you pay. The guitar is sturdy, and the finish will last (trust me... I have handled it pretty roughly in the 2 and a half years it's been with me).