Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Sharon Music

The sound this guitar can kick out is excellent, very good cleans from the single coils- the only word I can think of to describe it is "bright". Then the humbucker is good for limited distortion, but it may not be enough for people who enjoy playing metal or nu-metal. I play a lot of classic rock and soft rock, and the Pacifica does this very well. The only gripe I have is that there is only one tone knob, which does restrict the sound variety a little bit.

I am very impressed with this guitar, I own a Fender Mexi Strat as well, and the Pacifica is almost as good. I would recommend this guitar to anyone, except possibly the most extreme metalheads, who would probably prefer something with twin humbuckers. I wish it had a second tone knob, and an input socket on the front, not the side, but apart from that the guitar is excellent. I would probably buy another Pacifica if mine was stolen or broken.

This guitar will easily withstand live playing- but whether the tone is quite up to scratch for a professional band is another matter. That said, and swiftly contradicted, I have seen a guitarist at our schools battle of the bands using one, and I would consider him to be the best guitarist I know. The guitar is built like a tank, I don't mistreat my guitars, but it has had the usual knocks and scratches, and nothing noticable has happened as a result. The strap buttons are rock solid, and the tuners are amazing. The finish is also superb, I have had this guitar for a year and I play 2-3 hours a day, no effect to the finish at all. I wouldn't normally take ANY guitar to a gig without a backup, but if I only had one then I think I could rely on this one.

I bought this guitar new, and the action was pretty poor- I think high action comes as standard for Yamaha guitars, as I have played a couple of Yamaha basses that have high action. However this was soon sorted out. Apart from this, the guitar was ready to play, correct intonation, good pickup adjustment, etc etc. The tuners are exceptional on this guitar, it holds tune for days.

Stratocaster copy, 22 frets, maple neck, bubinga fingerboard, alder body, two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge position. Pretty standard stuff.