Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Steves Music Store (T.O)

The sound produced from the pickup is more of a bluesy or jazzy quality. If you use the clean channel that is. If you Switch to distortion, it does sound a bit rockier and rectified. When I had this guitar, I already purchased a Marshall MG10CD from my last guitar, Ovation and the sound came out pretty clear and crisp. The only problem I had with the guitar was that the single coils produced a loud buzzing sound. When I Switch the pickup to hum, the buzzing was gone. Another problem was keeping the guitar in tune. If you bend the strings a lot, the guitar will go out of tune very quickly.

Initially I wanted to get a guitar with a more rockier feel, e.g. PRS or SG, however, I didn't have the money to buy one. Now, that I work, I have a Ibanez SZ520, and I definitely couldn't have got it if I didn't start out with this guitar. This guitar was great for me, why? I never played an electric before purchasing this guitar, I only owned two acoustics, but never an electric. I learn a lot from playing this guitar, it help me with the basics of an electric, especially with string bending and power chords. I had a lot of fun playing with it, and now that I'm selling it to a other guitar learner. I hope he/she will have much fun with it as I did.

I played this guitar a few times at church, and the problem I had with it was the sound. The hardware is durable and solid, but the sound was a bit lacking. The strap button definitely needed reinforced with tougher ones, so I changed the whole strap button with schallers strap locks, and the strap never fell off again. Personally, if I needed to play in a gig I would probably use another guitar, and not this one. This guitar is good for beginners like me before, and it's a good learning guitar.

When I purchase the guitar, it was definitely underpriced and I didn't know why until I purchased it and played with it more at home. The bridge wasn't flat, it came up at 5 degrees. There were one scratch near the edge of the body, since people came into the store and played with the guitars all the time. However, back then, I never played an electric, so it was fine that I had these one or two flaws in the guitar.

This guitar was made in 2002, in Taiwan. It has 21 medium frets and rosewood fretboard. The neck is maple. It is a solid electric, with a nice paint finish called placid lake (blue metallic finish). It has what you made call, Fender Strat look, except the body is a bit more narrow, and the double cut edge have more of a pointy look. It has pearl dots on fretboard, and on the side. The pickup set-up is single, single, and humbucker. It comes with whammy bar so you can bend the strings for effect. The pickguard is white, and helps with pick scratches (good for beginners who are learning the guitar) There are two controls, one is for volume the other is for tone. Tuners are chrome and are non-locking, and it comes with manual, "L" shape bar and some free picks (from the store).