Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: machinehead music

If you use the single coils you get a nice, clean tone, while the humbucker, delivers a fat rock sound. I tend to play punk or blues. the guitar suits both styles nicely. I use it with a Marshall MG15DFX. I have a weirdy multi pedal and the guitar sounds fairly good with effects, unless you keep holding on to the strings you get a buzzing noise, or if you use the humbucker that stops it too. The guitar can make very contrasting tones just by changing the height of the pickup, higher up gives a cleaner sound. You can hear each individaul string when you play a chord, whereas a reccessed pickup blends the notes smoothly. The single coils are good to recreate that famous hendrix sound!

Overall, the guitar seems good especially for the price, it's very good value, and very comfortable, and good looking. If it were stolen I would get something else, only because this is my first guitar.

I have played this guitar live, but it's probably best to take a bak up. The hardware seems pretty solid, but I'm not very confident that its put together very well. My strap constantly falls off. I don't know if thats anything to do with the strap buttons or my strap, (probably the strap since its a thin, free one). The finish is thick but easy to dent, but when you do dent it, you don't reach the wood, even screwdrivers! But it does scratch easy, specially if you wear a studded belt like I used to, that scratches the back alot.

I think this is where the guitar lets itself down. I've had it a year, and are still finding things to adjust which should have been done in the factory. Just recently, I spent the good part of a saturday adjusting the truss rod to stop the neck bending and to stop it vibrating. Tightening the tuning pegs because they were unbeleivably worn. The bridge was floating miles high because of something inside it which I had to screw up. I had to adjust the pickups alot to get the correct sound out of them the neck wasn't screwed down to the body properly either. The knobs come off pretty easy too, they just pull off.

I'm not sure when this guitar was made, I've had it a year now I beleive its a 22 fret, I have a 112M, so it has a maple neck, which is nice and chunky and comfortable, good for rhythm guitaring, but as you get up the neck it thins out nicely so it's good for soloing aswell, it has a solid top. I think the body is alder which carrys the tone well without the amp. I got it in a glossy black finish, with a white scratchplate and pickups (but I sprayed the pickups and scratchplate black and it looks sic!) It's a Strat style body. The bridge can be used with a whammy bar put this puts it out of tune. You get a tone knob and a volume knob, nice and simple, but only 1 tone knob limits the range of sounds, it has a 5 way selector. I don't know what a coil tap is but I think it may have one. It's got two single coils near the neck, and a humbucker it doesn't have locking tuning pegs, which is annoying sometimes.