Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Guitar Mania

I mainly play alternative rock with a nice melody to it (sort of Goo Goo Dolls, The Verve type thing) and this guitar fits well into those styles. Able to punch out some beefy power chords or a melodious solo it can cope well and I don't have much trouble getting the sound I want. At the moment I am playing through a tiny Fender amp but you wouldn't be able to tell if you couldn't actually see it. The guitar is very loud and has a very full sound even when the strings are quite old. I'm looking forward to when I get a new Fender Stage 1600, as I'm sure the guitar will sound great through. We shall wait and see!

This guitar fits my musical style well. Good for soft rock and hard rock you can get the sound you want from this guitar. I've been playing about a year and 2 months now, but have had this guitar for less than a year. If this guitar disapeared out of my life I would be upset, and would probably buy a 500 Fender but in the future I would make sure I bought a new one cause I really do love this guitar. The thing I love most about it is the neck it really is very fast and sturdy. I hate the nut, but if I took it too a guitar tech it could be easily corrected. I bought this product over the standard 112 and over a couple of Squiers as I felt it was worth it too pay that little bit more and now buy a copy guitar. Although this is a relatively cheap guitar it is decent, reliable and easy to play. You will learn to love this guitar. It's good stuff!

I would not be embarrassed to paly this guitar live. It's sturdy and reliable and makes a hell of a sound. I'm pretty shure I'll have this beauty all my life, even in the future when I have a nice new Fender or Gibson I will still play it. The strap buttons are top notch and I feel I can put a lot of trust into this guitar.

When I bought the guitar I didn't know much difference as it was my first. However, after playing for over a year now I notice that the nut it way too high. String bends up till around the 3 or 4 fret can be nearly impossible if you want to bend through a full tone. The action was okay, but I have adjusted it so it's a bit lower and since then it's been superb. The humbucker pickup is a little wobbly which worries me but it seems okay. All of the metal is still nice and shiny, no oxidation, and the frets are still nice with minor wear on some due to a lot of playing.

This is a very new Yamaha Pacifica. It was a little bit more money than the standard 112 as it is actually a special edition, celebrating 10 years of the instrument. The neck has 22 frets and I am completely in love with it. It's smooth and fast and gives you something to hold onto. It's quite narrow as with most Japanese guitars, however I like this as it makes it faster to play for me. I am extremely pleased with the finish and look of this guitar, a natural finish and black pickguard make it look Vintage yet modern stunning stuff! The Alder Wood Strat body is nice and comfortable and there's a tremelo bar. I think this would need a lot of modification for it to bend any further, as mine doesn't like to bend much, therefore I don't really use it. I think if it were fitten with a Floyd Rose it would be much more versatile. This humbucker in the bridge and the 2 single coils give a nice variety of tones, however they can buzz like hell if you Switch a lamp on in your room, the single coils can sound a bit lifeless at times aswell, but the humbucker is decent and reliable. There is a 5 way selector Switch for the pickups, and also volume and tone knobs. Pretty standard. The tuners are nice. Grover silver ones. They do the job. One thing I find a bit dodgy is the cable socket. With some cables it will wobble around and you loose contact, therefore getting no sound, but I have found a cable at the moment which seems fine.