Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Musicstore Koeln

I play hard rock to progressive metal. I use a Marshall 15CD amp, which isn't bad at all compared to the Peavey ones. This guitar fitted literally every style of music I've ever tried; I sound like Tony Iommi on "Paranoid" and like Roy Z on "Power Of The Sun" and AC/DC licks aren't a problem at all. I play it with little distortion, since with a lot of it the guitar sounds as if a guy you caught by the balls screamed through a distortion pedal. And for clean sounds I prefer the second setting, it sounds warmer.

I've been playing 7 months and already shoot off with heavy riffs. It's very versatile, though It could sound a little warmer. If it were stolen 6 months ago, I'd have hanged myself on the factory cable, but now I'd go get a Jackson 30RR because it fits my style better and would hope that the guy who stole my Pacifica makes good use of it.

It would withstand live playing, but I wouldn't do it because it's pretty noisy (or maybe I'm not muting properly). I have it 7 months and nothing in this guitar seems to alter. The strap buttons are so solid and reliable that you could hang yourself on them. Quick death guaranteed! But I wouldn't use it without a backup, maybe as a backup though. The finish is also durable. Only the input jack comes loose, if I play with a good cable (the factory one you can give your granny so that she can plug in her respirator).

No complaints at all. It was packed with care, nearly love, so that you get the impression that the Japanese really wanted to kiss your ass, but let's not get cynical. The strings had a paper coat around them. The pickups were slightly too high, though according to the handbook, too low.

This guitar was made in Indonesia (with accordance and specifications of Yamaha Corporation), what year exactly I don't know but it must be a pretty new model since they got them also in red metallic. 22 frets on mine. Alder body, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck. S/S/H pickups, 2 tone/volume tuners. Included accessories: whammy bar, screw-keys, a handbook which tells you about how to adjust the guitar (I only set the pickups lower for they were too high and sounded loud as hell) and a crappy cable most guitars come along with (which you can use to whip your brother if he's trying to play on your baby), which sucks.