Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Fair Deal Music

I play mainly metal but also do punk, classic rock and some classical/acoustic guitar. It suits metal really well as the neck is really fast providing you with lots of opportunity for speed bursts. I use a Marshall JCM-900 and a Boss ME-50 pedal which is good as the guitar, which can support a wide-variety of sounds goes straight into a box of sounds. The sound is mainly bright and offers a good rich sound when the single coils are selected and the tone is rolled down half-way.

I play mainly metal and this is perfect. The pickups could do with a bit more bite, but there pretty damn solid and hard to fault. I've been playing for nearly 10 years and it's lasted me for 6 of those, I own a Boss ME-50 and a Marshall JCM900 which it compliments very well. If it was stolen/lost, I'd but it again. I love the durability of the instrument. I dislike the tuning of it, the tremelo seems to bend upwards when you tune, detuning the other strings until you get to the optimum position. Compared to my Gibson SG, it's superior as it never breaks live! I wish it had a floyd rose tremelo or an EMG bridge pickup.

This guitars plays like a beast live, even when I broke the tremelo arm off, the guitar remained in tune. The hardware will last until hell freezes over. The strap buttons are pretty dam solid, I've only ever had one problem with them when my strap came off when I was jumping across the stage. My advice is fit strap locks. But if you do, remember to keep a screwdriver with you. I would use it for a gig without a backup and have several times. It used to be my backup until my SG broke so many times live there was no point starting with it. It's a well built solid guitar.

The action was perfect for me, I've only had to adjust the e (thinnest string) saddle once as it ended up buzzing on the 20th fret. The guitar was perfect in everyway. And is easy to fix as everything is intuitive.

Made in Japan. Very fast neck, good for shredding which is what I do. 22 frets which is perfect, body is basswood and the neck is maple with a satin finish which is good as it doesn't become sticky like some painted necks I've played. Mine was the black originally which I sanded down and painted red. The paint is really thick and protects it from the majority of knocks. The bridge is a strung-thru body tremelo system which can be a bit annoying when tuning but overall is good. 1 volume, 1 tone 5-way selector. 2 single coil pickups and 1 humbucker all made by Yamaha which providers an all round tone to it. I changed the humbucker to a mighty-mite motherbucker for a chunkier tone. Non-locking schaller type tuners. Gig bag, 5 ft. cable and strap included.