Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

I'd say this suits my style preety damn well. I play anything from Jeff Buckley, to Radiohead, to the Clash, to Muse to outright pop. I am also veering towards jazz and the blues more, and I find that the Pacifica deals with all of these execptionally well for a guitar of it's price. What really sets the guitar apart is the humbucker, what Squiers are missing (you know, apart from decent electrics:P) With the humbucker, I can play with a pretty large amount of distortion, without losing any clarity. I have a Fender Frontman 15, hardly the best amp ever, but it does it's job. My school also has one of these, and a Squier, and my Pacifica beats it hands down. while the Squier sounds muddy, however much you twiddle with hte EQ, it's a lot easier to get decent tone out of the Pacifica, which is exactly what a beginner wants. You can get a bit of moise, but to be honest, it's the amp, not the guitar, and I rarely (if ever) get feedback, another problem with Squiers.

I'd probably buy this guitar if it were stolen, because, for it's price, you really can't beat it. A must for beginners! What I love about the Pcifica is that I can always get some new pickups, and locking tuners, and have a guitar I can be proud of. When I do eventually get a new guitar, I think I will go for something quite different (I have my eye on a Burns Steer), as I think the 112 fulfils my needs at the moment.

I'm only really starting out writing my own material, but I'd definitdly use this Live, I don't think I'd need a back up. But I'm certain the Pacifica would sound great through a good amp, and with some good effects. I've never felt scared of the strap buttons falling out, and the finish has already lived through quite a few scrapes. I can't see myself encountering any problems with the hardware, but I might replace the pickups at some point.

The action was great, as were the pickups, and, in any case, if you're dissatisfied with the pickups, it's incredibly easy to adjust them. I couldn't fault the factory set up at all. Alder is a wood of reasonably good quality, and the tone is acceptable. Tuning pegs aren't locking, so it is likely that you'll have to tune up a bit, but thisisn't a problem if you just get a tuning pedal with true bypass.

I'm not sure when or where this guitar was made, but it was brand new when I bought it. As mentioned before, it has 21 frets a sonokeling (at least, that's what it says on the manual I downloaded) fretboard, and the neck is maple. Pearl inlays, and markers on the side of the neck too. It looks pretty much like any other entry level Strat copy, albeit, maybe a bit more angular, which I quite like. I rarely use the whammy bar, but it stays in tune with light usage. Not exactly suitable for dive bombs, but that doesn't worry me. Passive electronics, two singlecoils, and a humbucker at the bridge.

EG_Noob
    I've ordered this guitar after playing my aunts boyfriends 112. I've also ordered a Behringer GM108 amp. CANT W8!
    TeddyRamone
    I've had this guitar for 5 years now, and it hasnt broken down on me except hardware and pickups getting rusty. Other than that, this thing is definitely dependable. In my experience, Yamaha does make some crappy stuff, but this Pacifica of mine still works well like when I bought it. Beginners and amateurs, perfect guitar for you. And the humbucker does give good distortion sound. (Btw mine's black with white pickguard)
    acousticky14
    I HAVE THIS GUITAR AND IT'S AWESOME.. I ALSO HAD A EPI SPECIAL II BUT I LIKE THIS ONE MORE..
    ROCKAHOBO
    i Have this guitar its ok but i would prefur a bc rich warlock for 20 quid extra
    samisabig1
    no mine has 22 frets aswell. it clearly says 112 on the back of the headstock
    Korzack
    If anyone here's seen the film 'Still Crazy', I remember the kid guitarist plays one of these at one point.
    Mrtomtwo
    I've had this guitar for over 4 years and the previous owner had it for around 2. In that time the body has been scratched and beat up (bearing in mind its in natural and the scratches are less easily noticed from a distance), the input socket has been resoldered god knows how many times but i love it. I've considered changing the pickups and modding it but i can't bring myself to carry it out. In my opinion (i have only played guitar for 4 years), I love the tone, the tuners keep the strings in any tuning regardless of the ridiculas tunings i have it in (C# Sabbath style). The strap buttons may need changing but it works as perfect as the day i bought it. I own a Gibson 05 SG Standard and although I love my SG I adore my 112 (a rock guitarist getting emotional about his instruments who would have thought). The guitar is amazing end of
    iron_maiden93
    mines got the 22 frets, and its pretty sweet, the only problem is that my jack fell out, its now wraapped up with duct tape, so i taped the rest of the guitar, its not worth doing if its not worth overdoing right?
    wildchild6660
    I've played this guitar. it sounds pretty good (not amazing) plus it gives you the action of a strat with humbuckers added in.
    wildchild6660
    One thing about Yamaha - you can bet your life on it that pieces aren't gonna start falling of after a couple of years unlike some other guitars