Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

I use it with a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT amp and it sounds pretty good to be honest. You can get a good variety of sounds on it, although I used to play it through a Marshall 15DFX and it did not sound half as good, so the amp does matter hugely. You can get some good clean sounds from it as well as getting dirty with it. For the price now at 120, you can't get a much better sound, except perhaps with a Cort.

I've used it for 5 years, I did outgrow it after 3 but lacked funds to replace it. I am just about to replace it with a Cort. When playing lead the sound can be quite shrill and piercing, but that's what you get. It can be controlled to an extent, but not as much as I would like. For a beginner I would advice no other guitar.

Few issues with the wiring coming loose, but I've had it for 5 years now and it Still Remains a good guitar. I would and have played Live with it, was fine, but at the end of the day it is a budget guitar. The whammy bar though takes it completely out of tune straight away.

It's ok. You get what you pay for it is not a stunning guitar, but compared to others in the price range it is very very good. I had some trouble with fret buzz, but that was sorted out. Generally though the guitar stays in tune well, i haven't had any big problems as far as that is concerned. Some of the wiring did come loose and had to be re-soldered, but that has been my only issue. Also the action is not as low as i would like, but again that is what you p-ay for.

Solid Alder Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, it was made in Europe in 2002. It has a 5 way selector Switch, volume and tone controls, Standard stock Yamaha HSS pickups. The pickups are not the best and especially the H pickup lacks something, but you can get some good sounds with it when combined with the right amp and effects, and also the tone controls can be quite noisy.

Derpadurr
    I was going to write a review, but I'll just comment. This guitar is BEAST. I had been checking out MANY other guitars across the country before I settled on this one. I live in Nova Scotia, but I made the trip to Ottawa to check out Steve's and even they didn't have one that matched the Pacifica for quality/price ratio. I don't know if anyone has ever used this LIVE, but I have. My other guitarist uses an SG, and he complains about not having my Pacifica to use. It can match an SG for sound, but even then has a unique and recognizable tone of it's on. The neck is VERY fast, perfect for a lead guitarist of 2 months or twenty years of playing. That was quick, but gets the job done. I hope more players try this guitar in the future.
    sammo_boi
    none of these reviews have done this guitar justice. i agree with derpadurr. This is probably one of the best value guitars in the world for its price, and if you put in good pickups it is as good as a guitar three times its price. and all you people who complain about fret buzz, that doesnt just happen for no reason (most of the time). it can be fixed you know. I now think that anyone who still owns a mcdr15 or similar shouldnt be able to review guitars.
    NeonBlueAlex
    thishollowhill wrote: how the hell did you pay 365.9817? 9817? wow. why would you treat your guitar like that? don't get me wrong, i'm all for a fun time, buy come on man. beating your guitar is like beating your wife. sorry, but that just sickens me. :/ Did you pay for your wife? Didn't think so. If I paid for it, I'll do what I want to it. I treat my guitars like garbage too. But I like that kind of look.
    He might have paid for his wife. By your logic it's okay to beat a Thai bride? Or perhaps if I bought the Mona Lisa, it'd be okay if I smashed it up to satisfy some puerile immature testosterone driven idiocy? Why would you beat on something you liked?