Pacifica 112 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112

Purchased from: Percy Prior

I've had this guitar 18 years and it really does sound good, the pickups aren't great by 2012 standards but were ok at the time and are not bad for ceramics but I'm gonna swap them for an alnico set at some point. Over the years I've played alot of different styles, indie, grunge, hard rock, blues and this guitar is versatile due to the HSS set up. As a 15 year old I only ever used the humbucker through a Boss Heavy Metal to a Laney GC30 this was my grunge phase and it handled that really well. As a 32 year old I now use all the pickup selections through a Boss DS2 various other Boss effects to a Laney Cub10 I play alot of blues and classic rock and classic indie and it handles all of these, favorite settings are humbucker (rock) or 1 and 2 out of phase (blues).

My favourite electric by far, not easily out done without spending big money, when I was choosing it the choice was this or a Squire Strat, Squires were really poor in the early 90's so this was the best choice, its matured with me, always gets played even though I've got other guitars now, would not be parted from it. The new 112 is very good, better spec and blows guitars away that are twice its price.

Gigged it loads over the years, its withstood a lot all the hardware still works fine, had to have the pots replaced but if I'd cleaned them with IPA once a year as a teenager they would probably not of failed. Tuners are are as good as new, bridge has lasted. Dependable guitar, never let me down.

The guitar was set up perfectly and has a very good standard of build for the price. No flaws, low action, fast neck, 18 years later the neck has withstood fine still plays great. Its light and very easy to play, has a "super strat" type feel to the neck, i.e. fast and east to bend.

Mine was made in 1994 in Japan, solid alder body, maple neck, and buvinga fingerboard. natural colour and matt finish. Copy of a fat Strat obviously but not exact. The pickups are the old ceramic ones not the alnicos you get on the new ones. Decent Strat style tuners.