Pacifica 112J review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Yamaha: Pacifica 112J

Purchased from: Furtados music

I'm very choosy about the music I play but there's a lot of variety in it. It includes pop songs from the 60s, classic rock songs and anything & everything in various genres which I feel conveys some emotions in it. I use Roland 30x Cube solid state amp with it, which is also quite versatile, just like the guitar.I recently bought a DigiTech RP355 multi effects unit which I've also reviewed to use with it & the combination is again, versatile. I didn't find any noise while playing the guitar except when both the guitar & the amp were turned at full volume, even while using the humbucking pickup. However, after adjusting the EQ on the processor, it was tolerable.

I believe its a good match for me. I've been playing guitar since 3 years, though not continuously. If it were stolen or lost, I would save up enough money & go for a Fender Strat with H-S-S pickup configuration, instead. I love that it has a Vintage tremolo, so that string changing is a breeze. I hate that it's pickups are so weak. I compared it to an ESP guitar with a Floyd Rose & though it sounded 25 % better, I knew how hard it would be just to change a string on it. So I bought this instead & I don't regret it. There was Squier Telecaster there too, with better pickups but it's body was made of some unheard wood. I also compared it to an Ibanez guitar with some double locking tremolo Bridge too which was the best sounding of them all, but it didn't have a pickguard & as my playing is rash & eccentric sometimes, I chose pacifica instead. Wish it had somewhat stronger pickups, though.

I've rarely played this guitar in a live scenario but I didn't have any problem with it for the few months that I've been gifted it, just like my other gear. It seems like it will last. I have a little doubt about the cable socket staying in place, though. I would use it on a gig without backup, as I compared the build quality with Chinese & locally made guitars also available at various stores & as this guitar was made in indonesia, it's sturdy enough. I can't comment on the finish quality, as its too new.

I haven't altered the action as the factory set-up was as much low as I wanted. I've not heard any intermediate players adjusting with the pick-ups so I haven't tried it, too. Even though I bought the guitar, I had to fix the whammy bar myself. The accompanied instruction manual proved helpful in this regard. At the back of the fingerboard, there were some microscopic pits but they were not obvious. So overall, finish was not bad. Accidentally the guitar may have been banged lightly by me & it has withstanded it. So the wood quality is enough for me. The buttons seem to delicate, but I'm used to them now.

It was a gift from my uncle. Made in Indonesia in 2010 as it said on its box. It has 22 medium frets, rosewood fingerboard while neck is made of maple. Alder body with double cutaway shape. Red metallic colour. Vintage bridge. Passive electronics. Controls include master volume, master tone & 5 way selector. Pickups are not so good though, but anyway that can't be expected from a guitar in this price range. Pickup configuration is H-S-S. Pickups are probably made by Yamaha. Have never opened them, but there's nothing written on the top of the pickups. Yamaha instrument cable was included which was of poor quality & lasted only 3 months. I don't remember but I think I also got an allen key.

ali.guitarkid7
    I'm not sure they're similar, but I've had the Pacifica 012 for 3 years now, and it's never failed me. I wouldn't describe it as "one of the best North American guitars to be created", but I'd say it isn't bad. It's pretty versatile really and I find that I'm really comfortable with it. Maybe I'm being a little biased since it's my first electric and I love it to bits, but I don't think it deserves all the flaming it's getting.
    CrawlingHorror
    "I'll never buy a Yamaha. If I buy a guitar, I want it to be from a brand that specializes in guitars, and doesnt make motorcycles as well." Carlos Santana played Yamahas early in his career, as did Dave Meniketti and Kyoji Yamamoto still plays them. So your statement is complete idiocy. As for the instrument in question in these reviews, I only know them from what I have seen with people on You Tube playing them and they sound like pretty decent starter guitars. If I was looking for a guitar to hot rod, though, I would probably go with either a Squier or Yamaha because they're cheap and the basic quality is pretty okay.
    Emperor's Child
    ^ True. Higher end Pacificas are often as good as (or better than) the guitars Gibson and Fender are putting out these days. Also, when did 112Js come with Seymour Duncan pups?
    zakariah
    Darth_Pietrus wrote: Ill never buy a Yamaha. If I buy a guitar, I want it to be from a brand that specializes in guitars, and doesnt make motorcycles aswell.
    They make great guitars and some of the best brass instruments too
    ghobby
    Had mine for 2 years, works for this home hobby hack. Stays in tune (never use the bar), solid construction. I only wish it had a wider neck.
    guitarnoob0808
    sidbizkit
    instead of going all corporate.. just look at the facts and the configuration for the price... the woods used.. the machine heads etc.. besides i'm sure that everyone who has commented has not tried it.. i rest my case
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    guitarnoob0808 wrote: Hi,i just sell my aria stg series003 and i want to buy this guitar,one guy will sell me it for 100...but im not sure...what you recommend?
    save up some money and buy something decent...even a squier or cort is better than a yamaha...