Pacifica 112J review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 112J

Price paid: A$ 400

The guitar is very versatile with the single, single and humbucker pickup configuration. The humbucker suits all of my metal sounding needs, and sounds great through my Peavey 158 amp and Boss ML-2 Metal Core pedal. Using the two single pickups give me a very warm and clean sound, although they can be very noisy through distortion. Overall, I would say that it is good for any type of music.

I play metal, this guitar is great for that except I would like the neck pickup to be a humbucker, still not a huge issue for me. I've been playing for 7 years, this was my first guitar. If it was stolen, I would be in my car and down the music shop in a dash, even though I would like two humbuckers, everything else on this guitar is perfect. It was between this or a Fender Squier, I've played a Squier and I'm so glad I got this.

I have played many gigs with this guitar and it is a blast on stage, after fixing the few issues with the tremolo, it stays in tune very, very well. I have never had to tighten any thing, and even today, everything is still very solid and looks like I've just gotten it out of the box. I could defiantly depend on this guitar.

The factory set-up on my guitar was pretty good, the action was good for me, although the pickups were very low set into the body but a quick screw-driver fix was not a hassle. I would have to say that is is very good quality for such a budget guitar, frets set in perfectly, easy to play right out of the box. I have had some issues with the tremolo at first and the pickup selector's middle setting had no output. After a quick visit to the music shop those issues were sorted and I've had no other problems with the guitar in the 7 years I've owned it.

My Yamaha Pacifica 112J was made in Europe in 2004, I purchased it in 2005. It has a 21 fret, rosewood fretboard, a Vintage sunburst finish and a Vintage style, non-locking tremolo. It came with a hard case, tuner, leads, picks and even an amp, very impressed.