Pacifica 120S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 120S

The guitar produces little variation in sound, due to the lack of controls. Using the amp provided at purchase, the basic clean, distortion, bass and treble settings can be adjusted. Despite this, teh guitar has a good, clear tone and and can be distorted to suit nearly any style of playing. It makes an excellent guitar for any beginner to experiment with differnet genres of music to play.

This guitar can be used to learn any style from pop to heavy metal and still be perfectly suited. It was great for my first electric guitar, both in quality and price. I myself ahve been playing for just over a year and purchased this guitar several months ago, and so far I haven't regretted my decision to go with this model. The only drawbacks are the irritating placement of the pickup and lack of specialized controls. However, I do love the fact that it requires no maintance and has so far proven that it cna survive minor damge with no I'll effects. Overall, I am very imopressed by this inexpensive guitar from an unassuming maker I would definetly recommend it to anyone just starting out and looking for an affordable, quality guitar.

This guitar is very durable, and would most defitely be reliable as a Live performance guitar, though this may be unadvisable, given the instrument's small range of controls. It is capable of being handled roughly with no I'll effect and there seem to be no issues with "tempermental" wiring (that is, the sound never cuts in and out). The strap buttons themselves are solid, and stable, but the neck strap provided is considerably less reliable and may slip off the pegs. The durablility of the guitar is once again, best suited for a beginner to guitar, as it can be dropped and banged and still work without flaw. It could be used to play a gig, buut another model would be recommended.

The guitar has great action, and requires very little adjustments or maintance. However, it has a tendancy to go out of tune relatively quickly and if not tuned for even a few weeks, it can slide hopelessly out of tune, even by several notes. Besides the oddly placed pickups, the guitar has no flaws that interfere with playing.

The Pacifica 120S features an alder body, bolt-on maple neck and a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard. The guitar body is Strat-stlyle with a high-gloss satin finish with a fixed bridge. Only two controls are given, master volume and master tone. The guitar has four pickups, but they are situated in such a fashion that some guitar players may need to adjust their playing to avoid striking the pickup. The guitar comes with a gig bag, neck strap, digital tuner, basic amplifier and amp cables.

danee23
    I`ve got this guitar for 3 years now, I`m hoping that in the near future to buy a new guitar, which definetely will be another brand. The weakest point of this guitar is the frets. They are made of some kinda softer metal than they should, and they wear off after a short time. The only thing I am satisfied on this guitar is the tuners. They are not some cheap crap, and are very accurate. The alder body with the neck bolt on doesn`t provides much sustain and that`s something I`we always missed. The pickups suck. They-re humming, their sound is not clear, but dirty(in a bad way). Another thing that is good about this guitar is the neck- it`s comfortable to play and it`s straight as it could be(never had to adjust it).
    Emperor's Child
    I hope Yamaha decide to re-release this. The Pacifica range at the moment is a bit boring and I'd quite like one of these
    Musicdorian
    I would suggest to GuitarGuruGirl that she turn down the distortion, and actually listen to the tonal possiblities of this guitar. It rivals a Les Paul or 335 in tonal possiblites. Additionally, after only one year of playing, I would suggest that she resverve her opinion of what constitutes a beginner guitar. If she added 39 years of playing onto her one year of playing, she would have equalled the number of years that I have been playing. I play jazz, professional gigs on the Yamaha Pacifica 120S. It is much more than a beginner instrument.
    Musicdorian