Pacifica 912 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 912

Purchased from: Flea Market

I play a lot of both hard metal and acoustic-style music (funny how you can play Johnny Cash and Jimi Hendrix on the same guitar), so I need a very versatile guitar. This is it. It's good n' raunchy on the bridge pickup, and on the first single-coil (the one right after the humbucker), it sounds, on the GG-22, almost like an acoustic guitar. Those are the only settings I've messed with right now, old equipment tends to crackle when you adjust it.

Great guitar. Good sound, incredible durability. I compared it with Stratocasters, Les Pauls, and Peaveys, and nothing seems as good. I think about the only things it could use are a tremolo bar (I'm working on that one) and a Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal. I want to thank Yamaha, they gave my music some serious power.

This guitar is freakin' invincible. I've had all sorts of accidents, including the guitar flying off the strap (cheap strap) and hitting the ground. No matter what happens, the thing never seems to get more than a few scratches. I even dropped my acoustic guitar onto it, which put a nasty dent in the acoustic. It is, hands down, the best guitar I have ever seen.

Great action, I had to tweak the pickup adjustment (the man who sold it to me had done so as well), top was perfect, bridge was routed right. It had a few scratches in the finish, but that's what you get with used gear. But it had that broken-in feel.

I bought this rare Vintage Yamaha Pacifica 912 model just over half a year ago. I don't know the exact year, but I know it's Vintage because I talked to the guy about it after purchasing. It has a maple body/neck, with non-locking tuners on the headstock. Anyone who's seen the Pacifica line knows what I'm talking about, it's a really pretty guitar. When I bought it, it came with a Crate GX-115R amp and a bland, basic cable. The pickups, one humbucker and two single-coils, each have a tone that is worlds apart from the others. After purchasing the guitar, I recieved a Gorilla GG-22 amp w/ a tube stack.

krm27
    No, not good...they're great! Depends on year and model, though (like with Gibson, Fender, etc.) I have not tried Yamahas from all eras, but I have fallen in love with several mid to late 80s Yamaha electrics, and a 1980 Yamaha classical. The description at the top is wrong because these came originally with staggered locking tuners, and it says non-locking (maybe the tuners on his were changed out before he bought it). Rosewood compound fretboard. Custom Dimarzio pickups. You can google the model to find a brochure that lists the specs (and I have one here to confirm those specs).
    ultrabot90
    I think this guitar is discontinued...actually, no other guitar except for the Pacifica 012 is actually featured on the Yamaha site from the ones listed here on UG...all discontinued? O.O