Pacifica 912 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: Pacifica 912

Purchased from: eBay

Made 1989 or 1990, Made in Taiwan, solid body alder or could be swamp ash according to my research. It has passive electronics, 5-way switch, 1 volume and 1 tone control. Humbucker - single-single DiMarzio pickups come stock and sound great. Warmoth compound radius neck, maple with rosewood fingerboard, Yamaha standard made in Japan tuners, Yamaha bridge with trem. bar, Strat style body, 22 frets, metallic red clear coat finish. All controls work very well and it returns to tune every time you use the trem. Bar. I got it with a non stock case.

Rock, southern rock and blues great for all! This axe has very diverse sound, it does it all very well. It's not noisy and controls work better than my American Strat Plus. This thing is bright and also very full rich sounding when needed. The bridge HUMBUCKER SCREAMS! When you go to bridge it's like kicking the volume 2 clicks, great for lead, nothing to do but flip the switch. Playing thru a '70s Fender Twin Reverb and a Fender Princeton Chorus. Sound is great, Blows away my other guitars at under 500.00.

This guitar was setup great and plays effortlessly!  Can't find any flaws. I got it used in 100% condition, It looks like a new case queen. The neck is a compound radius a little wider than my Strats but thin and easy to play. It feels like a early '60s Fender with a tad bit more width, great for me as I have nerve damage in my playing fingers from a bad power saw cut. The best feeling neck in my 45 years of playing. All the lines are well cut and shaped very nicely. This is a really nice looking guitar!

This guitar is solid as a rock! Better than my 3 Fenders, 2 G&L's and my Gibson Les Paul Studio. The only guitar I have that beats its solidity is my Travis Bean TB-1000 with the aluminum neck thru body. This guitar is going to be my daily player and I feel certain it will outlast me. I would use it and feel confident in it at any gig or road trip. This guitar stays in tune well and the truss rod works as it should with no binding or hard spots as far as I can tell. Really well made guitar. The strap buttons are well made and seem to hold OK, I will probably put lockers on just to be sure I don't dump it. The finish looks like it will last a long time, no checks or cracks after 27 year says a lot!

I play rock, blues and southern rock. This guitar works for all and does it very well. If I lost it I would hunt down another to replace it in a heartbeat! Only thing that would better it is a coil tap but the sound is so good I would be afraid to mess with the electronics in any way. The best way to describe this guitar is that it is as good as my custom shop Fender 57 special, which is one of only 60 made, at a fraction of the cost! Unbelievable quality for a guitar that sold for 899.00 in 1989... (and made in Taiwan) I love everything abut this guitar, wish I had found it 25 years ago. Nuff said. Billy

flexiblemile
    10/10 on every category?  I'm sorry but it makes it difficult to take this review seriously.  What you're saying is that this is the absolute best guitar in the world and no other guitar can beat it.  There's just no way this is true. Let's take your "features", for example.  You give it 10/10 which means that it has all the features that can possibly be expected of a guitar and more.  But what if it had a piezo?  Or locking tuners?  Or even a second tone knob, as is standard for many guitars. Would it be 11/10?  You mention yourself that you're going to put straplocks on it.  Why would a guitar with 10/10 for features need to be modified? I've played many yamaha pacificas and I absolutely believe you that your guitar plays like a champ.... but a perfect score for every single category?  Sorry but no