RGX121Z review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RGX121Z

Purchased from: Al Dawliah

I play death, thrash, metalcore and basically every other metal sub-genre that i know and this guitar is well suited for it. I run it through a Zoom G1/Roland Cube 15x. The bridge pickup is nice and crunchy with high gain and the middle pickup is very "bluesy" (I don't like it very much because it gets in the way of my picking but i just lower the pickup height so that it stays out of my way) while the neck pickup is actually very fluid and great for any palm muted triplet arpeggios. With my G1 on high gain and extreme distortion and on the bridge setting, I can get a nice Children of Bodom-like crunch sound perfect for any metal style. The palm mutes are great on the bridge pickup and harmonics are very audible and easy to get. I have not used the middle pickup much because I don't need it but its useful for when I'm a more clean and jazzy sort of mood plus it improves the guitar's versatility. The neck pickup is my favorite because it is just amazing for solos. When I play the solo of Shattering the Skies Above by Trivium it sounds perfect. Unlike most other entry level instruments this guitar has very little noise (The noise becomes inaudible when I put the noise reduction on level 1 which is great). I would say that this guitar is very versatile when it comes to sound and I give it a thumbs up on this section.

I have been playing for almost 1.5 years and I just love this guitar so much. I actually purchased this due to my lack of options where I live because my options were Fender, Yamaha and Samick. I just browsed around the store for a while and then the red finish of the guitar caught my eye. I fell in love with it immediately and tried it out. It sounded great so I bought it and left the store happily. If I had to choose my favorite feature of this guitar it would be the beautiful metallic red finish. I also love the smooth neck on this guitar and the headstock shape. I would compare this guitar to the Ibanez GRG or the Jackson JS30 dinky; a great high quality entry level instrument. If there was anything I wish my guitar had it would probably be a Wizard neck but except for that its great.

This guitar has stood plenty of gigs and is very durable. Since it is a Vintage style bridge guitar I wouldn't bring a backup but it is always advisable to bring a backup because you never know what may happen. The strap buttons are very stable and the finish I very high quality and has no wear.

When I got the guitar the factory set up was acceptable but needed some improving. The action was a bit low and the tremolo needed some spring adjustments. I had to tighten the tremolo because I use heavy gauge strings (10-50) and it would make the bring tilt which would make the guitar go out of tune very quickly but it was fine once adjusted. No other problems really.

First I want to say that this a more detailed and more experienced review of the guitar. I already reviewed it but I put it under the wrong name and I had it only for about a week when I last reviewed it. First of all this guitar has 22 regular sized frets and a 25.5 scale length which all sits on top of a smooth bolt-on alder neck and a rosewood fingerboard. The guitar is a more aggressive Strat with a body thats made out of alder sporting a metallic red finish. The bridge is a Vintage style tremolo bridge. All hardware is black nickel and the three pickups (HSH configuration) are passive and the controls are 1 tone 1 volume and five way selector switch. Tuners are sealed and on the headstock there is a tension bar to improve tuning and to compensate for the loss of an angled headstock.

Glenn Guitar
    with 1.5 years playing experience, i don't think this review is extensive enough. just saying, probably needs to be a bit more in depth. seems too rosy for that price.
    Headcrusher!
    I've got this guitar. It's very good for a beginner but it ain't all that if you get what I'm saying, it's a nice guitar to play though for the price (I bought mine for 100) and is by no means a write off.
    SHREDDER_DUDE:)
    @Glenn Guitar : Well the guitar plays pretty well for my experience level. Plus i practice up to 5 hours daily and the guitar takes a lot of abuse and still withstands it.
    FearOfTheDuck
    This was my first guitar, 8 years ago haha! It's still loved, and still plays like a beast for such a cheap guitar. Doesn't compare to my jackson though
    Rogue Hermit
    I haven't seen a guitar with an alder neck. The reviewer could either be wrong or the guitar really does have one?