RGX220DZ review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RGX220DZ

Price paid: € 420

Purchased from: Cyprus

I play pregressive metal and fusion. Having it as a solo guitar, it sounded great with a clean tone and lots of presence. I'm using a Peavey Bandit 112 amp and a Korg Toneworks AX1000G. I can easily play heavy metal but the harmonics are quite tricky to achive. Eventhough I play for 11 years now I needed some time to get used to it.

This has been quite a close match to metal playing but a little more output is needed. I've been playing for 11 yrs and harmonics are hard to achieve. I believe, it is a guitar to have in your collection but 2 are enough. If they were lost/stolen, I would buy an Ibanez. Um. Only Ibanez can be compared to this guitar, RGs mostly, but the only difference is that the Yamaha is a bit thicker.

Its reliable and the finish is very hard to scratch. I always played in a gig without a backup and it didn't let me down the last 4 years. I would recommend a pair of locking strap buttons as the factory ones are a bit small. It is a durable guitar as it has been tested even with a guitar smash and it has survived without getting out of tune.

I had some trouble with this guitar. The neck has been a bit bent backwords and a lot of fret buzz was causing a mess. I sent it for a pro-setup and then my problems were solved. The springs in the floyrose were bad so I had to change them. Also the frets wore out in the first two years. Low action, welcome fret buzz.

Made in 2004 in china. Has 24 jumbo frets and a very speedy neck with low action, great for sweep picking! The fingerboard is rosewood. Tuners are diecast. I baught two guitars, one in mettalic black and one in metallic red. Has a basswood body and a maple neck. It has a super-Strat shape wihout the pickguard. It comes with two alnico 5 passive humbackers with great depth and clarity, 1 tone control, 1 volume control and a 3-way lever. Has a licenced floyd-rose which never gave me any particular trouble but needed some configuration before it became smooth.

Kevhah
    I love this guitar xD this is my main guitar for now and well for me it suits my style (metaaaal!) and classic (Neoclassic) and well I've been playing for 2 years now but what the hell, this guitar is awesome, anyway im thinking about a nice Ibanez or Gibson X-Plorer
    xPinnedDownx
    @ VORTEX3333 I'm thinking of buying this guitar from euroguitar.com! It's on there for 293 Euro's! (I'm from the Netherlands, so don't blame me for calculating Euro's xD) Nice Reviews, i was doubting if i would get this or an ESP LTD Mh 50, but I'm quite sure I'm getting this one.
    Wreit
    I bought this guitar first, then after a few years I bought an Ibanez s320. Hard to confess,but I can play better on my yamaha. With seymour duncan pickups it sounds awesome