RGX520FZ review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RGX520FZ

Purchased from: B & B Music Prince George

I play a lot of rock and metal, and sometimes some clean alternative type stuff too. This is such an amazing guitar that overall, I believe it can suit any style, although it appears to be geared towards harder stuff, which is fine by me. I'm currently using an old 40 watt Samick amp (garage sale special) with dirty knobs that I'm too lazy to clean, yet this thing still sounds crystal clear, with no feedback whatsoever. The sound is perfect, you can definitely tell how beautiful this thing is when you play it unplugged. Rich, full and brite all at the same time, and the entire guitar is so responsive. I think you could do anything with this guitar, whether you're a beginner, or advanced. I'm using it with a Zoom GFX5, and it's a dream to play.

I play metal and rock, and sometimes I fool around with clean and delay, as well as phaser and chorus, and this thing suits all of them perfectly. I've been playing for about 2 years, although I'm so passionate about it I've been playing every day a couple hours a day, and I have a musical ear, so you could say 4-5. If this guitar was stolen, I'd murder the person that took it, no matter who that was, but I'd make them suffer first. I would defintely buy this again, although I'm attatched to the exact one I have (you know how it is). I love everything about this guitar. there is nothing to hate about it. My favorite feature has got to be the guitar itself. No questions there. Ironically enough, I didn't compare it to anything else. I was still playing Squier Stratocaster at the time, enough said huh?

This guitar would definitely withstand live playing. The hardware is still as perfect as the day I bought it, which was quite a few weeks ago, the strap buttons are not only solid, they feel rigid and powerful! I don't know if I'd use it on a gig without a backup, because I've recently had some strings go on it (maybe I need heavier strings, I play pretty hard, I don't think it's the way the bridge is set up it feels too perfect), because it would be pretty dumb to play anything without backup. If I had to trust 1 of my 3 guitars, I'd trust this one, I'll leave it at that. The finish is well, like the rest of the guitar, perfect! There's no pickguard on this thing, and I'm a maniac on the bottom half of my guitars, yet it seems to withstand without a problem.

This guitar came with perfect action, enough said. the pickups were flawless, and everything was set up incredibly well. The guitar itself is flaweless. I have 3 electrics (the other 2 are an Ibanez GAX70 and one of the new re-released BC Rich Bich models for 2005, special edition with the warlock type headstock and the Baritone pinstripe), but this thing holds the spot in my heart as my baby. It's perfect.

This is a brand new model (2005), and I must say Yamaha has taken a step in the right direction with this amazing guitar. It has a 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard (I dunno what size it is but it feels amazing, I have relatively small hands), a flamed maple top/mahogany body, and a mahogany neck. It uses a Yamaha AES bridge, and dual Yamaha humbuckers, both of which sound absolutely incredible (flawless sound). It has a dual cutaway body, and hitting the top frets is no problem with this thing. The Switch is 3-ways (overall its a pretty simple setup), and there are 2 knobs, one for volume and one for tone. The RGX-520FZ is the flagship model of the RGX series, and uses Grover locking tuners, which kick ass. these tuners never go out of tune and dont get in the way like regular tuners, yet they are easy to use, just like regular ones. There were no accessories included with this guitar.