RGX520FZ review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RGX520FZ

Purchased from: Second hand

This guitar was made for rock and metal types of music. Under high gain the bridge pickup remains bright and articulate, the neck pickup becomes a bit muddier. It resonates nicely all through the body and neck and has a very long sustain. I'm using this with a Peavey Valveking Royal 8, Zoom G1X, Boss CH-1(Chorus) and Boss HM-3 (Hyper Metal). The guitar is virtually hum free, and creates no noise when switching pickups. It is meant for distorted tones and does the best, but it has nice cleans as well, works wonderful for anything from blues to metal.

I mostly play classic rock but also some peppers stuff as well as heavier things like Pantera and Metallica. It lacks a bit in clean sound (maybe because I'm used to a Strat) but it more than makes up for that with its kickass distorted tone. I also own a fully customized Squier Strat and a Johnson acoustic. In combination with my Peavey Valveking Royal and pedals this guitar is very versatile and easily one of the best I've played. It is very similar in features and sound to much more expensive guitars like the Schecter C1 and Epiphone LP. I'm glad I discovered this guitar, for the price of J225 I doubt you can find any guitar with these specs that sounds this good. If it were stolen or lost, I'd do my best to get another one as soon as I could, this thing is worth it! A coil tap would've been nice to get better single coil sounding cleans, I might get that installed at some point, but for now this guitar seems perfect.

This guitar seems to be build to last. The tuners are grovers, the other hardware was made by Yamaha but looks and feels very sturdy. The strap buttons are very tight and secure, but I use straplocks none the less. The glossy finish is prone to grease though, but those are easily wiped of.

It got this second hand so I don't know how it was out of the box. The action was fine the way I got it, but the intonation was slightly off. The pickup height was fine on the bridge, but I raised the neck pickup a bit. I haven't found any flaws in the finish, frets are nicely cut and sanded, top is well matched, and the neck is smooth.

It doesn't say on the guitar when or where it was made, from other reviews I read that it was made in either Korea or China an Yamaha started making these in 2005. It is a 22 fret guitar with a 25 1/2" scale. The body is mahogany with a maple top. The neck is also made out of mahogany and has a rosewood fretboard with a custom inlay at the 12th fret. The body shape is very similar to my Strat, but weighs quite a bit more. The neck is quite thick, not as thick as an SG or LP neck, but much thicker than a Strat neck. It comes with a fixed bridge and string through body, neck is set, very nice sustain. It comes with two passive humbuckers, 3 way selector, master volume and master tone control. All controls are placed conveniently under the bridge. The tuners are grover barrel tuners, the took about 10 minutes getting used to, some people complain on these as you can't use string winders on them. They do their job well, the guitar stays in tune for ages.

GuitarUltimate?
    I own this guitar. It is easily what i would choose over the majority of guitars in the $1000-1500 price range (i payed $600). I play mostly classic rock and 80's style metal and this guitar has been perfect in every way.
    trogdor5
    I've been experiencing some problems with the bridge pickup lately...the neck sounds great on mine but the bridge used to sound great and now it is really screechy. Any suggestions?
    stujomo
    I,ve owned one of these for the past six months and it is one great guitar if mahogany and humbuckers and jumbo frets are your thing. Mine is the trans black version the fit and finish is just great. I have played it every day and it still shows no signs of wear. It sets up better than my 60s classic player strat (lower action with less fret buzz). The tone is great for hard rock or sustaining high gain ballady solos. The clean tone is pretty good not like a strat clean but ok. The neck is chunky compared to my strat more comfotable in someways but less so in others. I owned an Epi G400 before this guitar and I personaly feel for me that the Yamaha is a much better guitar. Yamaha really did a great job with this guitar other makers should take note. I have no real urge to upgrade anything with this guitar. I may try a set of 10-46 strings next time I fit new strings. The last few times I've fitted 9-46 strings. I believe the factory fitted 9-42.