RGXA2 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RGXA2

Purchased from: Strings attached

I play everything and this guitar can too. Running on clean It has amazing, and I mean amazing bassy response. This also dominated the sound when both pickups were engaged together. The bridge pickup alone has such a clean tone that if it was a woman, could make love to it all day long. On Overdrive, the bridge pickup gives great gritty top-end, made for any kind of hard rock. The neck pickup transferred it's mellowness to Darkness. Heavy brooding metal rhythms came surprisingly easy from this unassuming little guitar. The sustain is noticeably impressive with a gorgeous hint of underlying harmonic feedback appearing in the middle of the note's decay. On a 76 set of Marshall stacks, this thing rips soo amazingly.

The RGX A2 is a quirky little guitar with many unique features. Visually there is '80s styloing present and it is overall a head Turner. Oh and if you say the leds are "homo" then just take the battery out, the selector is easy to use without it. Most of all I liked the sound and features of the Alternative Internal Resonance (or AIR for short, yes that was quite a corny thign by Yamaha). Hopefully this is the start of a new trend in light-in-weight high-in-sustain guitars.

I think it will sustand anything actusally. My old Yamaha pacifica was in similar shape and lasted everything. Strap buttons are solid and the hardware with its finish will last for sure. I would say this is reliable, just liek a toyota. no need for backups as this owns.

There is great finish throughout. Actions is not too huigh, but Who cares, if you want a flashy overpriced guitar get a Gibson. Pickups were adjusted sooo awesomely as well. No flaws whatsoever and the bridge is soo well routed that it makes you feel like you have gods hands while playing.

This is a Brand New off the factory line model by Yamaha. It is made in Taiwan and sold worldwide. It has 22 close-grained thin frets, which are brown rosewood. It is a solid top guitar. The body is of a Fender Strat esque shape but much smoother then the now classic Strat. The maple neck is slim and very controllable when playing, as well is very fast so speed playing can be ocmpleted easily just like on a common Ibanez. there is a gloss lacquer that makes the guitar have a smooth feel under the hand. The body however has somethign that no other guitar has; Alternative Internal Resonance body. This is made by putting a light weight wood between two denser woods. It also has holes called air tubes which pass vibrations evenly throughout the guitar. The bridge is new too. It is as thin as maybe 5 thick picks stacked. the strings go over a groove in the front end and dive through the body through a slot. Each single string has two adjustable screws accessed through holes in the top. There is also an adjustment screw in the rear that slides the whole bridge backwards and forwards for adjustment. Also the grey bridge makes the guitars whole look amazing. THere are active and passive electronics (well technically ecause the lights are active). You get 1 tone and 1 volume selector with 2 circle knobs. When you change the tone, you also change the colour of leds inside the guitar. There are two Alnico humbuckers that sit in white soapbar housings. Also for the tuners, Instead of flat knobs, these tuners have cylinders that you twist. THey are of yamahas owns factory and are non locking (for people like me, I can't stand lockign ones) Ther is nothignincluided from Yamaha but when you buy at stores, hwo knows what they will give you. when I purchased mine, I walked in for 2 seconds told the guy I'm buyibng that guitar and pointed at it. He said no one bought a guitar so fast so he threw in for me a hard case:D. Only minus is no whammy bar, but I have a pedal anyway.

bmw8719
    I own this guitar and there a couple minor problems I have with it. 1. The access point to the truss rod is extremely short and you either need to take the entire neck off or have a special allen wrench that is small enough to fit in there. 2. I'm not very fond of the knob for the pickup selector. It is kind of hard to change pickups quickly like you could with a switch. 3. There is no tone knob. Other than those things which are minor nuisances, I have been fairly happy with this guitar.
    markgts
    In fact, the neck is great, I have a 1995 SRV and I reckon that the RGX neck is nearly as good!
    H0B81T
    Wow, enough comments? =P I bought one recently and was incredibly pleased with it, at the minute it's in a workshop getting a Z vex Fuzz Factory being put into it =D
    donender
    My brother wants a guitar for christmas, i had a look at some today and this was the first one i tried and i didn't need to look any further, i like pretty much everything about it and would be happy if i had one for myself, the only slight problem is that there are no fret inlays, but thats negligable.
    dazfli
    I got mine in black on a about 6 months ago and it is pretty good. i generally play metal and you can get a pretty crunchy sound out of it.
    JC58
    I'm playing alot different kinds of music. Would you (who own a RGX A2) recommend me to buy it? Someone told me that it was primarily for Metal, and I'm not playing Metal at all. Would it be stupid of me to buy this guitar?
    Pro5
    I've just got one of these. Mine was made in indonesia and I noticed a couple of bad fit n finsish items (the headstock plastic is glued on but there's a gap, the transparent plastic around the nobs is glued on and you can see the glue, the holes are also not that round and it also a few little specks on the paint (brand new) - other than that it's beautiful and compares well to my telecaster on the neck but maybe not quite so smooth up and down thanks to the painted back of the neck on the yamaha. The sound and feel however are great, the lightness is cool but I wouldn't care if it was heavier but good for the studio when you have lots to do as it saves fatigue. Lovely colour though the rear of mine is bordering on 'green' rather than gray? ANyone else got this? I'm thinking that maybe these latest indonesia ones are suffering in quality and that the colour may also be different but without seeing another one (jap made) I can't say for sure. Anyone thing it's worth returning this and seeking out a jap made one?
    Pro5
    keiron_d
    i played this guitar at a friend's house last year, and i really liked it. before i was a bit skeptical about yamaha guitars because i'd always associated yamaha with pianos and keyboards, but i loved it. nice guitar. played a bit of blues on it and it sounded nice through my mate's stack.
    **Nero**
    umm i like it , i'm gonna cheack my local Yamaha store , if i like the price iwill buy it if not get a pecifica 112j or 412.
    DS094
    it has a cool design and its very lightweight. i saw one in the store and im thinking of buying it. any thing i should know about it before i buy it? (things like defects, lousy tone and sound, easily damaged, harships in owning this guitar?) if you own this guitar, plz tell me about anyhting i should know befre buying this. btw, plz reply to my e-mail (darren_094@hotmail.com)cos i dont come to this site often. tnx n peace out dudes!
    Slash.vs.Bucket
    Hey I have a huge problem, the pick-up selctor has became still and will hardly move when i turn it. I dont know what to do as i'm not a guitar whizz like most of you guys. Thanks for the help if you dio. (Just message me)
    sparky93
    i've played this guitar and i've gotta say its pretty damn good!! One thing i noticed is that it's great for playing mellowy bassy stuff like lynard skynard
    mindup
    Just got a brand new one in black, $269 US on musicians friend, have no idea why their on clearance but my lp was the same way and i love it.
    Blash
    chrisc5553 wrote: this is a amazing guitar, but it gets damaged easily
    panic!!!
    ive been looking for a sweet affordable but reliable awesome sounding backup guitar and its been giving me hell trying to narrow my choices. i have an epiphone les paul ultra which i love to death and a jackson dkmg. i really needed a backup that was light, flashy, great sounding for stuff like blues jazz and open chords but still can rip a solo fast and versatile! i wanted an axe that could play metal to beatles, but thats ****ing nonsense right? so i was gonna buy a strat blusey and perfect addition to my two others axes, but damn i tried this thing and was blown away! yeah sure its not a strat and sure its really light but man it sounds great! and i found it for $300 at my local music store so hey you really cant go wrong! one person called it kinda like a telecaster and les paul hybrid! the 2 greatest guitars as a hybring? haha yeah this things pretty damn good! i gotta haul my les paul to and from jazz band but now with this axe transporting and playing for hours is a breeze because its so light! it looks great and stage ive even played shows with it, and sounds great at church. ive done it all ith this things its ****ing awesome! if you play it right get the right pedals and amps then this things a monster you should be set for life! yamaha, good on ya great guitar!
    korin_kun
    Ive played this guitar many a times at my friends house, im not too sure what i think about it, it's nice but it lacks the bass and heavy sound. Im strongly thinking of buying one used or just saving the money to get a 4x12 cab.
    EivindLekang
    chriskent4687 wrote: i dont really understand the lines that come from the side and bottom of the guitar. can anyone tell me wot there for? -chris-
    The one from the knobs is just to show where to plug The other just looks fine
    markgts
    Mine is an Indonesian version, first problem was that it would not stay in tune with 11's, plus the machines heads terrible. Changed to Gotohs, detuned to Eb and now it stays in tune. Pickup and Volume nobs need to be well and truly tightened else they come loose easily. I take the guitar when travelling for businesses, its light, nice to play (great neck), sound is easily heard due to the hollow body. Its no Fender but then its 1/3 the price of a decent USA made guitar and why risk having a Fender/Gibson guitar being stolen and damaged when these cheapies play and sound OK. Mark
    guitar-boy-21
    This guitar is ACE! i have one then tuning things at the top are ace cos there circular when you put them in a bag it doesnt catch and untune like a normal guitar
    g-unitie
    i own this guitar and it is pretty amazing....i play a lot of metallica surprisingly on this guitar and it sounds beautiful. since it is so light i can throw it around my back. try it u might like it
    Starchild_ex4
    i have owned both a les paul and an rgx a2 for the past few months and at this point the les paul is virtually unplayable. this is illustrated well by 2 comparisons. the rgx is way more erganomically satisfying and fun to play, while the les paul is similar to playing a canned ham. playing the les paul is like making out with a fat girl. it is more difficult to wrap your hands around and is ultimately less satisfying than than making out with a hot chick (RGX) who can take everything you can throw at her and come back for more.
    Weybl Himself
    Pay over a certain amount for a Yamaha (about 800 aussie dollars I've found) and you will get a damn fine axe.
    danzig-_-
    i was going to buy this, but i bought a les paul haha LP=15 pounds this guitar=5 pounds this thing is a marvel of technology!
    srvman
    it was my first guitar about a year ago, i was one of the first to get one so im quite proud lol. anyway a year on ive got a bigger collection and to be honest it still in my opinion just feels and sounds just as good as my les paul custom epi. and its better than my dads prs tremonti thing i love the guitar, although tuning is a pain in the arse and was the only reason i got a new guitar which i now regret in honesty, i wish i boughta good amp instead
    axejam123
    i want one too kaiserX. theyre nice. i usually go 4 guitars like prs and gibson but this one is sucha departure from the norm that its really cool.
    HC-Deathroll
    sounds pretty sweet. looks are very easy on the eyes. i like it, and if i see it and have the money i'll get one.
    Shib
    It dosn't look like it is that specil.. maby it is to techno for me or something.. I am happy with my Epiphone Les Pual.
    Kutanmoogle
    It'd be perfect if you could also dock an iPod on it. Yamaha makes some pretty cool looking basses, and now they're coming out with unique guitars too. Kudos to them.
    Tedward
    lol it does look like a Xbox 360 does the lack of tone knob make a difference? and what is wrong with the tuners?