GVT5-110 review by Ampeg

Ampeg: GVT5-110

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

I really love this little guy. Such a great amp, such a trooper. Played primarily with a Fender American Strat this thing gets some great tone with ease. I just set the tone controls at halfway and the volume all the way up utilizing the volume on my guitar as gain. To me this amp just strikes me as a pure blues amp. It gets nice and saturated and you get an extremely warm sounding amp quickly. If you use a humbucker equipped guitar you can get a great mild overdrive rock tone as well. It really depends on what guitar you use and how the amps react to the pickups. Regardless of what you use you will be impressed with the sound. Just like its big brother, the GVT52-112, the half power option does not suck all the tone out of the amp which is a problem I have encountered with almost every amp that has those options. Both the half and full power settings sound great regardless of what guitar you are using.

I am really impressed with this amp just due to the fact that it delivers an honest tone. It really is amazing how clean this amp stays with a Stratocaster when cranked all the way. It sounds close to a Fender Blackface but it definitely has its own voicing. One thing I would like to see in the future from Ampeg is an amp of this size equipped with reverb or possibly a gain setting and even a second channel. I think they could compete even better in the market with Blackstar and Marshall. For what it is though this is a terrific little amp that is priced well for what you get. With the new wave of low wattage tube amps, this would definitely find itself in my 'Best Of' list. This amp can get extremely warm while staying clean and not cause massive hearing damage. I like the fact that it can fit almost anywhere, has clean and classic looks and delivers a great sound. Enjoy your tone and happy pickin'. Feel free to contact me!

This thing feels and looks solid. A great look all the way around that is durable as well. I doubt this is going to be on the road much for any of you but I could definitely see this as an amp that stays in a home or studio. If you need to Jam with your friends you can easily throw this in the back of your car, take it with you on the bus, or even fit it in a bag when you hop on a bike. The amp is lightweight enough to be easily transportable but not too lightweight where they used poor quality products during assembly just to she'd a few pounds. Only the test of time will answer for reliability and durability but I see no problems for this amp.

Specifics are here: Ampeg GVT5-110 - Dual power modes - Full power 5 watts RMS - Half power 2.5 watts RMS - Preamp: Tube (1 x 12AX7) - Rectifier: Solid state - Power amp: Tube (1 x 6V6GT) - Speaker configuration: 1 x 10" Celestion - Tone controls: Baxandall treble and bass - Speaker outputs: 1 x 16 ohm, 2 x 8 ohm and 2 x 4 ohm - Cabinet: Open-back, void-free 15mm plywood - Dimensions (H x W x D inches excluding handle approx.): 16.0 x 15.5 x 9.1 - Handling weight (approx.): 28.4 lbs / 12.9 kg Very basic controls with this amp: Volume, Treble, Bass. Perfect! That is all this little guy needs. This is a 5-watt amp that is great for home use or in the studio. Just plug in and turn up, hope those are all the features you need.

COREYTAYLOR721
    don't see how this is too expensive considering many amps that would fall into the same class are 400. Class 5, blues junior, and ht-5. these things r really cool. wonder how much it weigh like 20?
    cjc1990
    Some of you are god damn stupid. A bathroom amp? You obviously have never played a 5 watt amp being pushed by tube power. I've gigged on a Class 5 in a pretty big room - yes it was mic'd. I heard myself just fine and had killer tone as well.
    thejester
    grungelive72 wrote: Get a Marshall Class 5 or a Blackstar HT-5 if you want a 5 watt amp. Cheaper, and probably a better tone, although I've never actually tried this one. The reviews don't flatter it much though.
    Not sure how many people have even played this who vote on that so take that into consideration. Yes the Class 5 is great so it the Blackstar. But those cant get the tones of this thing at all, this is essentially a 5 watt Fender Blackface. So its apples to oranges comparing this to the Marshall or Blackstar. This is a great amp with a great tone for what it does.
    MaggaraMarine
    JonnyMonster91 wrote: Four hundred dollars? Four hundred dollars. Four hundred dollars? A tiny box and one tube and one speaker and three knobs. Four hundred dollars? Four hundred dollars? Yeah, let me spend Four hundred dollars on an amp whose only use would be to put on a show in a closet. What kind of drugs do you people smoke?
    If you have some money to spend and want a practice/small gig/studio amp, $ 400 isn't that much. There are 5 watt amps that cost over $ 1000. But playing the guitar is an expensive hobby.
    garymissi26
    im sure its a great amp, its too bad im sure ill never get to play it considering where i live in southern indiana the music stores suck and im sure dont have it, but it makes me sick to see people rate stuff that havent even played the amp truly heart to heart with this amp... so if you havent had a ono on one conversation with this amp and made music love to it, please dont say anything, goes for me too.
    grungelive72
    Genadeloos_666
    So much hate comments on this sweet little amp from people who surely don't know what they're talking about... damned shame! I own a GVT5H and I love the "Baxandall" tone stack on these GVT amps, very versatile. Sure it works different than "normal" tone stacks, but that's a good thing IMO. Very sweet amp with a lot of headroom for clean Ampeg tone, if you want a screaming metal monster... stay away
    BlackMarshPeg
    i have the gvt5h (head) and also a blackstar ht1r Its my first move into ampeg tones,and the gvt5h works well.Its very simple....ie with the Baxandall EQ I find you need to have the volume at 10 then use your guitar pots to get the Ampeg crunch overdrive sound,much like the Class 5 Marshall.I will keep it...though not replace it if it were stolen,the Blackstar i would replace
    Meihdi123
    I have this amp for near 2 months and i can say it's a great little amp, not as lood as the Marshall C5 (the Tube 10 is less efficient, that's great for having drive at home), but the EQ is very g ood and you must use it to understand what gives this amp (tone control at halfway on this baby means that you don't understand the way work the Baxandall EQ...it's a boost in the treble and in the bass...so you get more drive too...). I had a lot of little tubes amps (Gretsch G5222, Vox ac4tv 10', Laney cub8, Lc15, Fender XD superchamp, Marshall C5, and big amps too...just to say i knows amps), and this Ampeg is a good amp, in France we can get it for 177 (about 220$ US), so comparing to all the others amps of the category it's easely the best price/quality...but i must admit i wouldn't have paid twice the price (what was the price at the begining...but as Ampeg can't manage to sell at high price, young guitarists don't know Ampeg as guitar amp maker, so that's good to have low price on high quality amp like this one...). I'm happy with this "little" blues-rock amp, good bass, good dynamic, articulate and good drive even with single coil (but you must understand that the tone control is not here to be beautiful to look at, but must be used !!! +/- 12 db !!!). I like this amp more than the C5 that i really liked (but didn't have enough bass for mthis amp sound more like a big amp...and if you want more volume you just have to put a more efficient speaker as the Eminence Legend 105 or another, the tube 10 is 94db, Legend is 100db...!!! but the stock speaker is enough for my home use).
    JonnyMonster91
    ecstefanov
    You have got to be kidding - The Price??? Does AMPEG assume musicians are that stupid - MOre like $35 plus tax if that - there is no way on earth I would spend $400 on a toy - this is a bathroom amp - Get Frigin' REAL - What a way to turn away customers!!! Good Luck with That!!