SS-140C review by Ampeg

Ampeg: SS-140C

Purchased from: Marguerites Music (Moorhead, MN)

I am using an Ibanez Destroyer II, stock pickups. It suits Death Metal greatly, along with many less extreme genres. It is fairly quite with my noise gate, going into feedback slowly and strongly. Not particularily noisy without the noise gate, especially if you can work a volume knob. The amp can bring up nice fat cleans, as well as twangy and bright. Subtle overdrive and nice hard rock tones. Really, the amp shines with hi-gain. Takes pedals really well. The clean channel is as clean as you want it, with the gain control and headroom for days. The distortion is brutal as f***.

I play mostly death metal, thrash, black metal, and it suits these styles very, very well. I also like to through out some pychedelic rock, neo-classical, and the occasional blues lick, and it works great for these too (but maybe not as well as some other amps). I have been playing for about 4 years, and my other amp before my Ampeg was a Peavey Bandit 112. A very good amp (the Bandit), I would recommend it to anyone. However, I paid the same with the S-140C, and like it a lot more. I really enjoy its overdrive, stereo everything, and the fact that its a combo so my shoulder can heal. I don't like the lack of tubes. Well let me re-phrase that; I don't like that I don't own a Peavey Classic 30 yet, but I love that not-nice, edgy overdrive that you can only get from a quality solid state amp. I wish it had Presence and Resonance controls, but you can't have everything, and theres nothing like stereo effects to tweak. If somebody stole it they would get destroyed by my dogs. Other than that I would try to get another Solid State head, probably another Ampeg, maybe a Randall but probably another stereo Ampeg in combo form. They are hard to find nowdays, if you like one and are debating that or some Bugera, pick up one of these, the Bugera will be around to fix in 10 years, but these babies are getting rarer and rarer.

It is solid state, so durability is possibly its selling point. This will not break, build like a rock. I would totally gig with this, no problem (and should be fairly soon). It's in great shape for it age, and you can tell by the wear on the emblem that its getting there. No tears on the cloth or tortex though.

I believe it was made in the late 80s to early 90s. It definantly versatile enough for anything from punk, rock, and pychedelic music to hard rock, death metal, thrash. There are two channels, each with three band EQ, a Bright Switch (for both), and "ultra-mid on the dirty channel (I think its an active control, but I'm not sure). Level and Gain control for both channels (quite nice on the 'clean'). Hi and Low gain inputs. Stereo chorus and Stereo Reverb, with Side A Side B and Intensity on the chorus, Side A and Side B on the reverb. Both are footswitchable, including between channels. There is an effect loop, a mono line out, and in/out for both effects. Also speaker out for another stereo cab.

sbinlb
    my friend has one its good for metal/thrash , but it gets a lot of extra noise and it is real easy to get loud feedback
    DeathByDestroyr
    i like the feedback, its a great intro lol but yeah, you can thrash your ass off on one of these
    DeathByDestroyr
    "It is fairly quite with my noise gate" moron can't even spell quiet right yeah, suffocation, death, dying fetus, i think anal blast and morbid angel too?
    PETESBREW
    Bought one of these about 20 years ago. An awesome amp indeed and great workhorse. Great distortion.
    DeathByDestroyr
    A little over one year later and there is a definite volume fluctuation problem. I will need to get this fixed. Shouldn't be too expensive, maybe I can even find it myself.
    DeathByDestroyr
    I should have phrased "psychedelic music" better. You can throw a few pedals onto it and make trippy tones lol. It's not like it has on-board LSD or anything.
    DeathByDestroyr
    Now that I look at this again, I must have been kind of drunk or something. Kicks ass at extreme metal/punk. That's about it.