VH-140C Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 08/11/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

9.5
 9.8
 9.2
 6,707
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
VH-140C Reviewed by: MISERYINDEXfan, on august 11, 2008

Features: The amp was made in 1993. Definitely the channel A distortion has a killer sound like old Suffocation style sound and Dying Fetus Sound, and the clean channel is great. I play death metal, thrash metal, punk, hardcore. It has 2 channels A & B, A is for the heavy distortion sound, and B is for the clean stuff. It came with a footswitch to change channels and turn the chorus on/off. Yes it has an effects loop. No it doesn't have a headphone jack. A master volume and 2 gain knobs and a gain selector for 2 different gains a fuzzy gain and a metal gain. Cause the master volume would help reduce the level of volume for both channels. I never use the chorus and the reverb. At home, band practice and live at clubs. Yes it has enough if not more power, I have never turn it up past 3 because it gets to loud after 3. It is a solid state amp. // 9

Sound: A Custom B.C. Rich Warlock with an EMG 85 in the bridge. It helps me get a more crunchier sound out of the amp. It is death metal style. Not really, gain - 10, low/bass - 4, mid - 3, high/treble - 8.5, level - 3.5, a basement and a bar enviroment. It can make a insanely brutal death metal sound, and can make the clearest clean sound ever. A lot of Varieties I didn't mention. Yes, I don't know cause I hardly ever mess with those settings. Very brutal distortion kinda like old Suffocation, and Dying Fetus sounding distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I can depend on it. Yes, I would use it with out a backup. Nope. // 10

Overall Impression: I play death metal, thrash metal, punk, hardcore. Definitely a good match. I have been playing for 3 years. I own a Ibanez RG series 7-string, a Custom Jackson Rhoads V, and a Randall RH200, I got in a trade from Mark K. of Misery Index, I traded a SS - 150, and it sucked. Not really no questions best amp I've ever had. I probavly would get a Triple rectifier, cause VH-140C's are rare in mint condition. I love everything about it. Nothing to hate here. The distortion. Nope, I didn't compare it to anything else. Not really. // 10

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro-VR 8.7 Bass Amplifiers 08/25/2015