Fallen Angel 100-DSP review by Ashdown

Ashdown: Fallen Angel 100-DSP

I use a very cheap guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. It's a fantastic guitar for it's price! I mentioned it earlier thet it's a pretty versatile amp. From hard rock to metal, from blues to punk it can handle pretty much genres. The sound is simply amazing! I use it with a Hayden Peacemaker 4*12 Cab. I love gain, so i use Ch2 with gain set on max, and gain boost activated, treble on max, middle at 3 o'clock and bass at 11 o'clock. It's barely noisy, with those settings. Ch volume at 1-2 o' clock. The clean channel is pretty nice, too! I use it with gain set at 9 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bass 2 o clock and middle 3 o clock. Ch volume at max. Negative things.. Well, Ch2 is very bass oriented, so I never turn it past 12. The clean channel on the other hand is treble orinted. Nevertheless you can get very nice sounds of it, you just need to watch these 2 things.

It's a pretty good amp. It was love at first sight, and after I heard it's sound I fell in even deeper love with it. It looks even better with the Haxden cab. I've been playing for 3 years now and it's my second amp. I have an Orange Crush 10 besides this one. I use a Marshall ED-1 Compressor pedal to enhance the clean channels sound. If it were stolen, I would definitely hunt down the thieves. It's pretty cheap, but I couldn't afford to buy a new one. But if it were stolen, and I had no way to get it back, I would get the money and try (unfortunately Ashdown doesn't make it anymore) to buy a new one. Before buying it, I have compared it with a Marshall MG100, a Hayden Peacemaker, an Engl Gigmaster and Orange TIny and Dual Terror amps, but Ashdow was the winner. I don't regret this choise, because it's an absolutely amazing amp with a fair price.

It seems durable and reliable, but I can't tell, because I've never gigged with it yet. I would definietly bring some spare tubes for the preamp. It has never broken down on me, but I bought it a month ago.

Hy there! I bought this amp 1 months ago. I play mainly metal, hard rock, punk and it covers these styles pretty well. Well, it could have a little more gain for metal, but it's acceptable. The first thing you notice is that it looks beautiful! The sound is amazing, too. It has 2 channels, clean and overdriven. Seperated EQ (bass, mid, treble), gain, volume for the channels. Ch2 (OD) has a gain boost, too. The master section features DSP effects (8 delay, 4 chorus, 4 flange), a master reverb and 2 master volumes. It has a serial effects loop, return level knob, 3 inputs for footswitches (one for the Ashdown footswitch, which is included to the amp), and it has a speaker emulated line out jack. It has two 8 Ohm speaker outputs. It's a hybrid amp (all tube preamp + solid state power amp). I use it at home and with my band. I couldn't gig with it yet, but it could handle medium gigs, because it's very loud!

ilovesyu
    thats pretty rad. im a fan of hybrid amps myself. Don't need an amp but it's good to know for future reference. thanx for the review.
    genghistron
    I have the 60watt version of this 2x12 combo.
    rob904 wrote: my ears hurt just reading how you equalize this thing
    I have the 60watt version of this 2x12 combo. The bass is very muddy and overpowering on the drive channel, requires some serious compensation. I used an mxr 10band eq in the effects loop to boost the mid-high frequencies and cut some bass and it really opened up a whole new world for this amp, highly recommend it (the eq, that is). DSP effects are okay, usually ran the drive channel with delay on the lowest setting for a bit of girth, other than that never really touched em. I was looking to sell mine but the resale is terrible since they're out of production, instead running it for bright cleans ABY'd with a Dual Terror for some real class A crunch.
    Sakke
    Oh dear.....
    rob904 wrote: my ears hurt just reading how you equalize this thing
    Exactly what I thought.
    Radynj
    havee
    Radynj wrote: Wait... you're calling it versatile "from hard rock to metal" that's not exactly a big gap there mate.
    Yeah, but i wrote this: "From hard rock to metal, from blues to punk.."
    sewoo55 wrote: how much is it?
    I bought it for ~600 dollars.
    havee
    Sakke wrote: rob904 wrote: my ears hurt just reading how you equalize this thing Exactly what I thought.
    Well, i have a unique taste.
    havee
    genghistron wrote: I used an mxr 10band eq in the effects loop to boost the mid-high frequencies and cut some bass and it really opened up a whole new world for this amp, highly recommend it (the eq, that is).
    I'm thinking about getting an Artec SE-EQ8.
    LeeBadmanBear
    I have the Ashdown FA100 DSP head, basically this in head form and I find that if you have the equalisation on the clean and gain channels exactly the same they flow together as if using a pedal. There's like, no change in tone, except for the obvious gain to clean.