Fallen Angel 100-DSP Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 01/18/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ashdown: Fallen Angel 100-DSP
The first thing you notice is that it looks beautiful! The sound is amazing, too. I play mainly metal, hard rock, punk and it covers these styles pretty well.
 7.7
 8.3
 3,937
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Fallen Angel 100-DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2011

Features: Hy there! I bought this amp 1 months ago. I play mainly metal, hard rock, punk and it covers these styles pretty well. Well, it could have a little more gain for metal, but it's acceptable. The first thing you notice is that it looks beautiful! The sound is amazing, too. It has 2 channels, clean and overdriven. Seperated EQ (bass, mid, treble), gain, volume for the channels. Ch2 (OD) has a gain boost, too. The master section features DSP effects (8 delay, 4 chorus, 4 flange), a master reverb and 2 master volumes. It has a serial effects loop, return level knob, 3 inputs for footswitches (one for the Ashdown footswitch, which is included to the amp), and it has a speaker emulated line out jack. It has two 8 Ohm speaker outputs. It's a hybrid amp (all tube preamp + solid state power amp). I use it at home and with my band. I couldn't gig with it yet, but it could handle medium gigs, because it's very loud! // 8

Sound: I use a very cheap guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. It's a fantastic guitar for it's price! I mentioned it earlier thet it's a pretty versatile amp. From hard rock to metal, from blues to punk it can handle pretty much genres. The sound is simply amazing! I use it with a Hayden Peacemaker 4*12 Cab. I love gain, so i use Ch2 with gain set on max, and gain boost activated, treble on max, middle at 3 o'clock and bass at 11 o'clock. It's barely noisy, with those settings. Ch volume at 1-2 o' clock. The clean channel is pretty nice, too! I use it with gain set at 9 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bass 2 o clock and middle 3 o clock. Ch volume at max. Negative things.. Well, Ch2 is very bass oriented, so I never turn it past 12. The clean channel on the other hand is treble orinted. Nevertheless you can get very nice sounds of it, you just need to watch these 2 things. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems durable and reliable, but I can't tell, because I've never gigged with it yet. I would definietly bring some spare tubes for the preamp. It has never broken down on me, but I bought it a month ago. // 7

Overall Impression: It's a pretty good amp. It was love at first sight, and after I heard it's sound I fell in even deeper love with it. It looks even better with the Haxden cab. I've been playing for 3 years now and it's my second amp. I have an Orange Crush 10 besides this one. I use a Marshall ED-1 Compressor pedal to enhance the clean channels sound. If it were stolen, I would definitely hunt down the thieves. It's pretty cheap, but I couldn't afford to buy a new one. But if it were stolen, and I had no way to get it back, I would get the money and try (unfortunately Ashdown doesn't make it anymore) to buy a new one. Before buying it, I have compared it with a Marshall MG100, a Hayden Peacemaker, an Engl Gigmaster and Orange TIny and Dual Terror amps, but Ashdow was the winner. I don't regret this choise, because it's an absolutely amazing amp with a fair price. // 9

Comments