GA100H review by Ashton

Ashton: GA100H

Purchased from: Landers Music Orange

I use a Yamaha Pacifica 604W with a splitable bridge humbucker and single coils for the middle and front. I have played an Epiphone V, and Ibanez RGX through it. As I mentioned earlier, this thing has quite a good heavy tone on the boost channel. If you turn the contour down to about 3 oclock it has a very Metal Zone sound to it. Turn it up to around 6 and you get a nice smooth distortion, good for modern punk stuff. The dirty channel really leaves a lot to be desired however. Even with gain almost all the way down it is still impossible to get a good crunch sound. Turn the gain up and it just becomes a raspy sound. Thats why I got a Boss DS-2. I find using the dirty channel with the DS-2 in normal mode gives an absolutley amazing fuzz sound - suitable for Hendrix. The clean sound is what you would expect from a solid state, very clear with no hint of breaking up.

This amp is made for metal, punk and heavy rock. Unless you have a spare $5000 to spend on a mesa, the next best thing would be maybe a Marshall with a Metal Zone. The value for money here is something hard to beat. Try finding another half stack with celestion speakers for around the $1000 mark. If Ashton can fix the reliability problems then this would be the ultimate begginers package. By the way, I have also tried the valve model and it sounds terrible.

This is where the Ashton falls down. I have gigged this amp a few times but have not treated it roughly. Yet I am finding that the speakers are starting buzz quite loudly when palm muting on mid to high volume. Also, having all four speakers working is a bit of a hit or miss afair and I am guessing the wiring or soldering in the cabinet needs looking at. Luckily my drummer is an electrician because its past the waranty. The amp itself seems fairly sturdy tho.

Made in 2003 in China, this amp has good sound for a solid state. I play punk, ska, metal and hard rock and with the exception of hard rock it is easy for me to find suitable tones. It's a 3 channel amp with clean, dirty and boost. I bought a footswith for an extra $50. There is an FX loop but it seems to reduce overall gain too much. I have gigged this amp a few times and it has stood up well. It is extremely loud being a solid state 100 watter. However if you plan on doing low palm muting riffs the volume can't really go too loud because the speakers dont seem to handle it.

chaoticfables
    We have this amp at my school, it's average. Distortion sounds good if you get the tones right. But when you switch to distortion, the amp gets quiet. You need to get used to changing the knobs and stuff.
    imnouser
    I'm getting this (and the cab) from my mate second Hand for $300 (aus) sounds like it's a good deal. Any1 no wat the retail was??
    synysterandzack
    my school has the 212 combo version and it is heavy as hell. The tone is perfect, has a little too much feedback when boost is engaged but it is easily resolved if you don't stand too close
    Daletheslayer
    I have 2 of these amp stacks 1 for me and one for my other guitarist in my band We don't use the distortion on the amp we have bothe got a line 6 pod xt live multiboard And so we plug into the return on the back and even at full volume we have never had a problem With this stack an it is even loader and clearer than the line 6 150watt stacks So that's saying something and with the ga100 having a line out we can use that to plug direct Into any mixer at a gig and get nothing but perfect sons on stage as well as out in the audience I paid $900 for each stack and then got 2 more speakers for $800 these amps sound even better Running 2 cabs so they are worth the price the viper vp100 all valve also sound unreal if u can get one of them for less than $500 just for the head they are worth it too
    imatiler
    Awesome for the money I got my GA100 Head on Ebay for $200AU with the quad box! This thing tears the house apart. It is picky on what type of pickups and pots you are using, but get it right and you'll never part with it. My best setup is neck humbucker (CaliG ceramic meltbucker) through a Russian K73 .033uf 400V PETP 5% Guitar Tone Cap. The sustain never stops and 'Slash' would kill for the tone! I just love it.