GA50 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Ashton: GA50

Purchased from: Macron Music

I use an Ibanez RG550 anniversary edition guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge position, a good guitar and pickup but even with that it sounds like a constipated cow on the dirty channel, however the clean channel is passable. The amp doesn't suit my playing style, thrash, heavy power metal, heavy metal and I require an effects pedal to even get a mediocre sound out of the amp. On the dirty channel, it is very noisy when the gain passes 5 and the gain channel cannot produce a decent distortion at all.This is why I use a DigiTech RP50 effects pedal through the clean channel. Another problem with the amp is that it picks up the radio at times and also makes a loud clicking noise when a light is turned on or off.

The style of music that I like to play, metal, thrash, power metal cannot be handle by such an inferior amp such as the Ashton GA50. I have been playing for 3 years and can't wait to be able to buy a better amp. If it were stolen I would feel sorry for the person Who stole it and then use this as an excuse to buy a better amp. I wish I wasn't such a n00b when my parents bought me this amp for christmas 2 years ago. I hope that in the near future, I can buy a proper amp that will suit my needs far better than this poor excuse for an amp has done for me so far.

I wouldn't allow myself to play this in public as it would be too embarrassing for me as the sound is terrible. The only good thing about this amp is that it could probably take a beating (which is what I am planning to do when I can afford a better amp).

Don't know what year the amp was made in but I got mine Christmas 2006. I mainly play power metal, thrash etc and this amp by itself does a terrible job, needs an effects pedal. There are two channels, clean and dirty, comes with an optional footswitch, no effects looping but has a headphone jack. Overall this amp would be alright for the bare beginner but not for anyone higher than that.

FuZzY(aus)
    ive got this amp and your going a bit hard on it its a good amp maybe its not designed for your style?
    alfunkz
    maybe you should demo things before you buy them, if this amp doesnt suit your style of play you clearly didnt know what you were buying because you didnt demo it, so why are you giving the amp a hard time? clutz