VP50 review by Ashton

Ashton: VP50

Purchased from: Steve Forrest Music Tuggerah

I play a sunburst Fender Fat Strat, my dream guitar. I haven't changed the pickups. I'll tell you what I played every amp in the shop and I reckon it beat them all on sound. I played the rest, but this was best. Go for tube! Distortion to the 10. Ashton have a bit of a bad name for being cheap and having crappy guitars but their amps and acoustics rock - Australian made! This thing is loud. 50watts valve is atleast equivalent to 100watts solid state. It has ok variety. It has a real beafy clean/crunch sound aswell as filth channels and reverb. You can make it sound however you want. The distortion really comes good when you pick up the volume a bit.

This amp is perfect for rock or punk. If you want clean get a Fender. it's also pretty good in studio. I wouldn't loose it but if it was stolen I would cry. Not really but I would probably save up a bit more and buy a massive Marshall. It's a box of bricks. Really heavy and wheels would look stupid. Even against the fenders and Marshall in and above it's class it annihilated them on sound and was cheaper. Overall a great amp.

It's pretty dependable, even for a tube. I do keep a couple of fuses. it hasn't broken down, yet. It gets really hot. it's pretty tough overall.

Ashton VP50 - totally tube. This thing is great for what I want, which is pretty much rock and punk. It also plays well through clean. It has effects loop inputs, never used it. I was on my way up from a killer 15watt Champion by Squier but it couldn't handle the levels. I wanted a beefy distortion sound without pedals and I didn't want to pay heaps and get like a Marshall stack or Fender reverb. I use it at band rehearsels outer gigs and concerts for my youth group. They mike me and they always tell me to turn down. Features: - 50 Watts RMS @ 4, 8, or 16 ohms - High voltage all tube amplifier - Pre-amp valves: 12AX7 - Power-amp valves: EL34 - Single 12" Celestion Speaker - Hi & Low input jacks - Spring Reverb (foot switchable) - 2 Channel - 3 Band EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble) on each channel - Crunch (foot switchable) - Filth (foot switchable & adjustable) - Extension Speaker Output - Optional Footswitch FSW400.