VP50 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 06/13/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ashton: VP50
The VP50 is a great all-in-one amp offering 50 watts of good old-fashioned grunt. A warm vintage tone comes thanks to its old-style valve construction.
 7.6
 8.5
 6.7
 1,630
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
VP50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Purchased from: Steve Forrest Music Tuggerah

Features: Ashton VP50 - totally tube. This thing is great for what I want, which is pretty much rock and punk. It also plays well through clean. It has effects loop inputs, never used it. I was on my way up from a killer 15watt Champion by Squier but it couldn't handle the levels. I wanted a beefy distortion sound without pedals and I didn't want to pay heaps and get like a Marshall stack or Fender reverb. I use it at band rehearsels outer gigs and concerts for my youth group. They mike me and they always tell me to turn down. Features: - 50 Watts RMS @ 4, 8, or 16 ohms - High voltage all tube amplifier - Pre-amp valves: 12AX7 - Power-amp valves: EL34 - Single 12" Celestion Speaker - Hi & Low input jacks - Spring Reverb (foot switchable) - 2 Channel - 3 Band EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble) on each channel - Crunch (foot switchable) - Filth (foot switchable & adjustable) - Extension Speaker Output - Optional Footswitch FSW400. // 8

Sound: I play a sunburst Fender Fat Strat, my dream guitar. I haven't changed the pickups. I'll tell you what I played every amp in the shop and I reckon it beat them all on sound. I played the rest, but this was best. Go for tube! Distortion to the 10. Ashton have a bit of a bad name for being cheap and having crappy guitars but their amps and acoustics rock - Australian made! This thing is loud. 50watts valve is atleast equivalent to 100watts solid state. It has ok variety. It has a real beafy clean/crunch sound aswell as filth channels and reverb. You can make it sound however you want. The distortion really comes good when you pick up the volume a bit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty dependable, even for a tube. I do keep a couple of fuses. it hasn't broken down, yet. It gets really hot. it's pretty tough overall. // 6

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for rock or punk. If you want clean get a Fender. it's also pretty good in studio. I wouldn't loose it but if it was stolen I would cry. Not really but I would probably save up a bit more and buy a massive Marshall. It's a box of bricks. Really heavy and wheels would look stupid. Even against the fenders and Marshall in and above it's class it annihilated them on sound and was cheaper. Overall a great amp. // 10

Comments