G212H Premier Traditional Cab review by Avatar

Avatar: G212H Premier Traditional Cab

Purchased from: Used/avatarspeakers.com

The choice of speakers and the usage of the Closed Back Conversion Board is a preference-thing. I'd never played through Greenbacks before owning this cabinet. The sound is very Vintage and for classic rock, blues & clean playing, it's superb. I would like a bit tighter mid-range and will most likely be swapping out a V30 for one of the Greenbacks (do a search on YouTube for this combination in a 212 - it's amazing sounding to my ears). The conversion board is huge for making this a closed back cabinet. If you like hard rock &/or metal, this is something I would highly recommend. That being said, you can always remove the board and open up the back if need be.

I play a bit of everything. From blues, classic rock, hard rock to metal (and even a bit of jazz/funk). I use effects as well as just plugged straight into the head. At this point I would absolutely buy another if this were stolen. For the money, Avatar has to be one of the top cabinets on anyone's list.

The quality of construction is excellent. It's considerably larger than my other 212 (as well as heavier). I've not gigged with it - only moved it around inside. So, while it feels plenty sturdy, I can't really comment on how it would fare for a gigging musician. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to bring this thing anywhere with me. The corners have steel caps, the construction is birch, the handles are super strong. No reason to think this cabinet wouldn't do anything other than fare perfectly...

I bought this amp about a month after it was originally purchased from the original owner. It was made in 2011 and was customized with black tolex, Fender grill, white piping & small logo. It was loaded with Celestion Greenbacks and came with the Closed Back Conversion Board installed. I've left the conversion board in place so can only comment on the cabinet's performance with it. I think I got this cabinet for a steal. The price would barely have paid for the speakers - which weren't even broken in when I bought it. It would have also been worth if for just the cab, un-loaded. So to find a deal like this makes it highly rated to me.

friedo
    I have owned an Avatar G12H30 cabinet for 4 years now-Celestion's with 1-vintage30 and 1-g12h30 speakers- oval back-black tolex with Fender grill. It is indestructable and has traveled to many gigs with me and always has performed flawlessly- i play it with various amps- from an EVJ to a Bluesbreaker head and handles each with perfection. i swear by them- only paid $333 new including shipping.
    PerpetualBurn
    Same here, bought mine back in '07 and it has served me well. Still in perfect condition after hundreds of shows too. Sounds great with the Vintage 30s. Think I paid the same, about $330 or so when I got it.
    Moogabbin
    I have an Avatar G412. It's loaded with V30's rated at 240 watts. It's a beast! I got it for 250 off an old band mate. Definitely a steal. It has a decent bit of wear and tear and was gigged a bunch the first two years he owned it and it still sounds great. I highly recommend Avatar cabs to anyone for any style of playing.
    richardlpalmer
    I like this cab an awful lot. I've yet to try the Greenback/V30 combo yet but fully intend to soon. I think these would be a great cab to pick up if you were just looking for something unloaded to put your favorite speakers in.
    Dyslexic
    Closed cabs have better bass response. Instead of the vibrations losing themselves out of the open back, they rumble around inside. It's just preference is all. I can't wait to get one of these.