AT-100 review by B-52

B-52: AT-100

I use an Ibanez ARX and an Ibanez RG with stock Ibanez Pickups. The first thing about the sound of this amp is it sounds really great when clean, it's one of the best sounding amps on a clean setting that I have ever heard which really supprised me, and even more suppriseing is that it really stays clean even at high volumes. The Reverb is decent but not amazing. Gain 1 is more of a punk or old school Metal gain tone depending on how you set it up. Think, Iron Maiden and The Sex Pistols. Gain 2 is much more heavy. Something you would use for a more heavy metal tone, Very crisp sounding and has decent bottom end as long as you turn the knobs right. Gain 2 is closer to my style tone{Hard Rock, Metal}but it's not quite beefy enough for the style of music my band plays {Hardcore, Metalcore} So for the band I keep it on clean and use a DigiTech Grunge pedal for distortion and just use the amps regular tube distortion outside of the band. That setup is perfect for me. The other thing is that this amp is way loud, perfect for shows, but a bit much when your by yourself. It also is very peticularly when on gain 2 so a noise reductor is highly recommended. I use the standard Boss Noise Suppresor and it takes away all the unwanted sound and leaves the sounds you want, Great pedal.

I have been playing for 4 years and I have had 2 years of lessons. The cabs I have are blank cabs with Custom Celestion Speakers. I want to get Celestion V30's, but the Customs sound good and really work with the B-52 head well. I play all sorts of styles, and this amp is good for just about any style except really really heavy stuff. Unfortunatly for me, My band is a Hardcore band so I need to use pedals to boost the distortion but all around it's a great amp. If I had the money I would buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. But this is much cheeper and still a great amp, it's actually in alott of ways, Simalar to the Mesa Boogie amps. It's just not quite as awesome.

Its very heavy on one end but light on the other which makes it hard to carry around. I have only had this head for about a month now but it hasn't failed me yet! I haven't heard of anybodys getting screwed up nor have I seen any in the repair department of guitar center. So I am assuming they are sturdy amps.

The Amp has three channels: clean, gain 1, and gain 2 (can be operated by footswitch or on amp). Has standard tube reverb. Can pick between two types of tube combos or a solid state for tone versatility. Has countour and resolution knobs for better tone control. Is switchable from 4, 8, and 16 omhs which makes it work with almost any cab.

ThorOfValhalla
    yeah, all these guys are right, the onboard distortion is gravy on this thing, overdrive/distortion pedals are completely unecessary. if tweeked right, you can get a rough bluesy sound or a downright raunchy metal gain. best thing i've ever played!
    ready2breakdown
    wow i cant believe you got this head for only 300 bucks! I also can't believe that you use a friggin distortion pedal through this head!!! Friggin hardcore bands man! Use a friggin EQ pedal and push the 100 and 250 bands up to get some bass!
    AllWthnMyHands
    You don't need pedals for this amp. You just need to learn to EQ it properly. My band plays metal and my lead guitarist uses that amp and it sound amazing. I play with a Peavey 6505 and they mesh very well. Stock ibanez pickups don't have that great of a dynamic range.
    RyRock
    DOOdooroCK
    RyRock wrote: How the hell did you get one for 300 dollars? Even if it was used, these things go for $700 new, so you must have shown some skin or something man.
    lol showed some skin and i agree with him. does this come with a footswitch?
    ollytodd
    300 bills good buy man! stop using pedals and eq the shiz to make those tubes purr..
    Demonikk
    Anyone know where I can get one of these in the UK? I don't wanna resort to a hybrid Randall
    myscreeename
    shiiit... 300?? i bought mine and 2x12 b52 speaker cab and it all added up to like 800. but it was used. great amp though. i love it
    i_eat_souls
    i have this head and it rocks, i got it for 300 as a floor model but it was just like new and i knew the guy that sold it to me. This head is awesome, i run it through a crate 400W cab and it is great for playing live, but when i'm alone i cant really turn the master past 2 for fear of going deaf
    lo0zerkid34
    no, i know for a fact that he paid in american money. this guy was in my guitar class and i played in his band for a brief period