AT-100 review by B-52

B-52: AT-100

Purchased from: Ebay

Any sound you want, you get. I have played through a LOT of amps. I worked at a music store for almost 2 years and i played every amp that came through there. And every time I like the sound of my AT-100 better. The clean is crystal clear and defined. You can get a warm Vintage clean or bright and sparkling with the use of the bright switch. The distortion is amazing. With the countour setting OUT you get a very warm classic Drive sound similar to the old Marshall Plexi's. With it IN you get a dirty raging modern distortion. The distortion is very rich and saturated. The kind you can only get with real tube distortion. No pedal can come close. And the rectifier does make a difference. Class A gives you a warmer tone. A/B is tighter with more output, and Solid State it cold and tight. One thing I have to mention. Mine has been completely re-tubed with high end tubes. The stock tubes are CRAP. The sound difference with new tubes is night and day. With the new tubes, I took the head into Guitar Center and tried it side by side with a Brand New one, and there was no comparison. So if you get one, re tube it quickly. Thats how to get the most out of it. Listen to my sound clips on my profile, the only amp I used is the AT-100. I use guitars with Seymour Duncan, and EMG pickups with this amp.

I truly beleive that there is no Amp in the same price range that even comes close. I play rock, altrnative, blues, metal, and all kinds of covers. So I need an amp that is versitile. The AT-100 just fits every time. I also use the matching AT412 cab which is great. One of the best guitar cabs I have ever used. I would get another of these amps in a heartbeat. I mean I have thought of selling it many times just because I don't need an amp this big, but everytime I plug in and hear it, I can't part with it. Its perfect. It has all the high end bite of a Marshall, but the low end of a Mesa. It has such power and clarity even when cranked. I have never had this amp up past half of its volume even at the biggest show I have played. With the quality, features, price, and above all AMAZING SOUND of this amp, you can't go wrong.

You wanna talk about reliablilty? 2 years ago I was practicing with my band in the winter time, and we played for about 4 hours so the tubes were very hot. When I was packing up I saw that it was snowing really heavy. I didn't want any snow to fall into the top vents of the head and crack the hot tubes so I was running to my car with it. I slipped on the ice and the head went flying and landed in a snow bank. I freaked out. I cleaned all of the snow off as best I could but a alot got into the amp itself. I let it dry out for a whole week before trying it. When I plugged it in I was shocked. There was NOTHING wrong with it or broken. That sealed the deal in my mind. You try that with a $2500 Marshall amp and you'll get an expensive paper wieght. So I have no issues with the durability of the AT-100.

This amp has all the features of amps costing 10 times as much. First of all its made in the USA. It has 12 tubes, with an ALL TUBE signal path. Tri mode rectifier. 2 channels, but the overdrive has 2 independant gain and contour settings. So its almost like having 3 channels. The footswitch has 4 buttons for channel control, reverb and effects loop. I don't use the effects loop because I never got the input balence to sound even, but I run my whole pedal board in front on the High input and they sound great. The Reverb is this amp's only downfall, which is why I gave it a 9 in features. It sucks. Its hardly there. It can be switched between 4, 8, and 16 Ohms for different cab use. Also has a ground lift switch if your power source is not grounded. And at 100 Watts it has more power than I have ever needed.

wangchowder86
    Got one for $270 at guitarcenter a few weeks back. Both my Fender Toronado, and Esp F-250 are being repaired however, so I haven't heard what they sound like through it. I did use a free OLP that a friend gave me at work though it last week, and it makes even that sound great.
    The4thHorsemen
    I picked up this head used at a local music shop, it's hands down the best amp I've ever played through (not saying a lot, but still) and I got it for $300 nothing wrong with it but a small tear in the cover material.
    Juared
    Bought one today for $220, once I get settled in with it I'll write a review.
    mwiguitar62
    I can get this for 400$ with the . No problems, actually fixed the reverb tank and I think replaced the tubes. Worth it?