AT-112 review by B-52

B-52: AT-112

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

I am using it with an ESP EC-1000 Deluxe guitar with an EMG 60 in the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge. It suits my style very well. I mainly play Thrash/Power/Shred. It was slightly muddy, but my 10 band EQ corrected that right away. It is very very noisy. That the only problem. I have to use 2 noise gates to shut this thing up. (One in the effects loop to quiet the tubes, and one in front of the amp for the pickups.) I think my pickups cause most of the noise, not really sure, but the roar of this amp makes up for it. It may be the wiring in my house, it is less noisy in our drummer's basement. It isn't noisy at all on the clean setting. This amp should suit you for any style, but keep in mind it is a budget amp. There is better for anything, but to my ears, it sounds good for all at the moment. The clean channel starts to distort around 4. The distortion is pretty brutal, not as much as some of the high-end metal amps, but it gets the job done for me

Again, it is a very decent amp for my style. I have been playing for about 2.5 years, but I think I have a decent knowledge of guitar stuff :P. I own a pedal board with 2 noise gates, an EQ, chorus, and delay pedal. If it was lost or stolen, I would try to find something better, but I would do this for any of my gear. I love the sound for the price, I hate the hiss. I chose it because of the price. $350 for a tube amp is great.

Well, I had to change the tubes already, and it was acting up while gigging. (Embarrassing.) It is pretty much my fault, because I kinda threw it around, but other than that it has held up good. It was and still is my 1st tube amp, so I figured it would be a good start to kind of see what I could do with it.

I'm not sure when this amp was made but it was sometime after B-52 corrected the overheating problems. It is pretty versatile for the types of music I play. I range from Jazz to full on Thrash. It gets things like Jazz very well even with my EMG-60 in the neck and sounds pretty heavenly with some single coils on the clean channel. It has a ton of gain, I have to the setting below one to get a good Jazz-Fusion or Blues sound. It has two channels. An Overdrive and Clean. It comes with a cheap foot switch, a Series? Effects loop, an Impedance selector (4-8-16) 4 12AX7 and 2 6L6 tubes, two speaker jacks, and a line out jack. You can Switch channels on the amp, or with the foot switch. You can't change channels on the amp with the Switch on the amp when you have the foot Switch plugged in, but you wouldn't really need to do that anyways. I wish it had a wattage selector and maybe more options for the EQ built in, because it is very loud for my house, and the EQ on it doesn't do much on the amp.

B.C. RICH5000
    This amp seems like a really good deal. I played one at a guitar center a few months ago and it deserves alot higher of a score than it was given