ST-412 review by B-52

B-52: ST-412

Now I assume that all Vintage 30s sound the same so I think it's safe to say that this will most likely sound like whatever other cabinet you wish to buy with Vintage 30s with similar dimensions. Now I am aware that dimensions do make a difference in the tone so I'm not going to say, "THIS SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE EVERY OTHER CABINET WITH Vintage 30s!" because I know that they will not, but it seems that the dimensions of this cab are similar to that of a Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 only in very slight variations, so for anyone who has played one of those can get a gist of what this cab sounds like. It's very clean and crunchy and works perfectly with my 6505+. This cab largely enhanced the tone as compared to the original 1x12, making it a lot more natural sounding and a lot less compressed and boxed-in kind of tone. This amp gets pretty loud too.

As this was my first product from B-52, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard good and bad things about the amplifiers they offer so I was a little weary at first. This has been a great purchase in my opinion, though, and I am very impressed with the cabinet. The sound is great and the price is hard to beat. Compared to other cabinets similar to this one that run for $949 dollars, I'd love for someone to explain to me why not to choose this cabinet over the others. It's an overall deal and I'd come back for another.

This amp is pretty solid. The wood is very dense which doesn't show much wear to it. It's pretty hard to ding this thing because of not only the wood, but the amp corners as well. The tolex is somewhat flimsy though. I've already had a few tears on the top of my amp. I'm not too worried about those though since it is on top of my amp and my head will be covering the damages anyway. I have had no issues with wire shortages or the output jacks or anything. It seems very well constructed and I doubt I will have any issues with it in the near future.

- Four 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers - 280 watts - 3/4" Baltic Birch Construction - Slanted - Black Tolex - Black Grill with white piping (very classy looking) - B-52 logo in the dead middle of the amp (going to get rid of this one day) - Rubber Feet - Detachable Casters - 30" x 30" x 14" - Weighs 98 lbs (not really too heavy) - 4 ohm or 16 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo I love the casters. This is somewhat of a massive amp, not too massive, but dead weight is dead weight and I'd much prefer to roll it on the ground than carry it around. I was astonished at how cheap this amp was and the fact that it had Celestion V30s in it for such a low price. The handles are kinda ehh but they are very solid due to 4 large hex bolts that hold each of the handle in place. As far as I can tell, this is the real deal with Vintage 30s. I wish I could compare it to other notable cabinets with Vintage 30s, but unfortunately I cannot go into very deep detail and comparison. The tolex seems a little flimsy though as it has already started to rip at the top.

brainwasher
    ginger ninja102
    mrsixstrings12
    wrong. mesa has specially voiced v30s, as does marshall too. Also, the type of wood of the cab will effect the sound
    Seref
    brainwasher wrote: If not my memory fails me, Harley Bentons "Vintage" amps also had Vintage 30s for only half the price?
    Harley Benton stuff is also made out of MDF.
    air1jsj
    I have this cab off a Mesa Triple Rectifier and it kicks ass! Well worth the money!
    guitarguyryan94
    ginger ninja102 wrote: not sure if its this one but im getting a b-52 cab at the end of the month. question is it an open or closed back?
    These are closed-backed cabs