K88 review by Baron Custom Amps

Baron Custom Amps: K88

Purchased from: Used

The sound on this thing is insane. It has a great smooth lead sound for soloing but at the same time has a great thick rhythm sound with a ton of bite. Great fit for metal/hard rock and will be great for you guys that like to detune. The amp stays tight even at the lowest of tunings which really surprised me when I switched to my seven string which is in Drop A. You will have no problem being heard over anything. The amp has a great mid range and shines right through drums and bass when playing a gig. The clean channel is to die for. It's smooth and warm but at the same time you can eq it to feel chimey and beautiful to get a nice feel for a Fender amp; especially when you turn the bright Switch on. It's really the best clean channel I've heard.

The amp fit my style perfectly being that I play a lot of metal like August Burns Red, BTBAM, and Parkway Drive. It also fits a lot of punk bands I like too. If you are a jazz player I can also see you really loving this amp due to the smooth warm cleanness of it. I've been playing for over four years and use an Ibanez JEM7VWH with a Bareknuckle Warpig in the bridge as my main guitar it's a great combo with this amp and can't see any other amp filling it's place. There's absolutely nothing I don't like about this and can't wait to start playing it again after writing this review!

It's tough as nails. It's gotten me through a few shows with absolutely no problems and still runs strong as a bull. There is no buzz/feedback or any nonsense like that since Baron built it with the best components in mind. The build quality on the head is strong and I can see it lasting forever. Very durable, very reliable.

The amp was made last year for a customer who ended up not being able to fuller purchase the amp. The amp is 80 watts and has two KT88 tubes in it for a nice tight but huge sound. The amp is extremely versatile and fits all the music I play and more. It has two separate preamps in it so that keeps both channels nice and clean so that they don't interfere with each other. Here's a run down on the knobs. It has two gains and two levels on the lead channel. The amp has an A/B selector to Switch between two channels on the lead channel. This way you can set the gain/level on channel A to be lighter and on channel B you can set the gain/level at max if you wanted to. Switching in between these two is great if you need a solo boost or are switching from a crunch type of sound to a lead sound. This channel also has a mid boost Switch if you need to really cut through the sound. The rest of the lead channel is your basic EQ of Treble, Mids, and Bass On the Clean Channel it has the basic EQ again Gain, Treble, Mids, Bass, and Level. This channel does not get distorted at all. It also has a Switch for a bright mode. The rest of the amp is Master, Presence, Trust, and two switches one turns the FX loop off and the other is a voice Switch for normal to tight.

kylendm
    Eh not really. It's only two Power tubes and five preamp tubes. Go look at a Mesa. They have a shit load.
    sg4ever
    Is the lead channel just balls to the wall or can you tame the distortion down to a modern rock sound? Something short of metal? Also, does the clean channel take pedals like maybe a mild overdrive?
    kylendm
    The lead channel does a great classic/modern rock sound. The clean channel could never do that though since there is practically no gain there. The clean channel sounded great when I ran a Timmy through it and it was a pretty nice bluesy sound when I ran my TS9 through it. It's just a great amp all in all.
    kylendm
    Lol. I just noticed that all of the sections are rated 10 but I didn't rate them 10 in my review, but it is an amazing piece of equipment to say the least.
    RIKUSTX
    In the beginning of this review you said you was able to get this amp because somebody could not fully pay for it. Did you contact Dave to make this happen or some other way?