Ultracoustic ACX1000 review by Behringer

Behringer: Ultracoustic ACX1000

Purchased from: Kinovox

The guitar I am using is a Takamine EG10 with a piezzo pick up, I thought that I wanted to buy a new guitar in order to improve the sound, but it is not at all necessary, the sound is very nice and crisp with good solid bass. Under normal circumstances there is no noise at all, the effects are recording studio quality, and only if you turn down the guitar volume too much and compensate by the amp vol, you might experience noise. If you are looking for solid distortion, this is not the amp for you, but if you are looking for corus, reverb, different room simulations, flanger, delay, rotary speaker, tremolo and more, this is the right thing for you.

I have been playing the guitar for more than 35 years. Being a big fan of the late Chet Atkins, my style is mainly finger picking, some of my favourite tunes are composed by Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Paul Simon, Sebastian (Danish) and for that style of music I find the Behringer ACX1000 an excellent choise, I definitely would buy the same again if it was stolen or destroyed.

I have had the amp for only one month, and used it on a daily basis, without problems at all, I use it on gigs without backup.

The aplifier was introduced in 2001 it think, and is an excellent amplifier for accoustic guitar, it is designed particularly for piezzo pick up systems. The style of music I play is finger picking folk-rock/ballads, for which it is excellent. The amp is 2x60W and comes with a two band notch filter, which enables you to run the amp with full power with the guitar just in front of the loudspeaker without feedback problems, 99 accoustic effects, some of them combined. The sound is crystal clear, it has a three band equalizer, tube simulation and attack, which adds precence to the sound and makes it sound excellent for finger picking. I use the amp at home for practice and at smaller stages when I play with the band, and so far, I have not been in lack of power. The amp also can be run as a hi-fi stereo amp for tape or mp3, still with excellent sound. Only thing that I can think of that I would have liked is a head phone out put.

crevs1972
    I just picked a used one of these up off Ebay for 50 after a lot of consideration taking into account various reviews. Half the reviews were dreadful which seemed to centre around the effects and half were brilliant. I have a theory that were several dodgy batches doing the rounds. Anyway I've had mine 2 nights and I'm well pleased, I use a Seymour Duncan Woody which isn't the quietest p/up but I'm only getting any interference when I'm within 2 to 3 feet of the amp. The tone is warm and the attack feature is good for livening things up. I haven't got through all 99 effects but the reverb seem good and the chorus ok. I haven't tried out the second channel for vocals yet and I don't think it's really pushing out 60 watts but I'm impressed, and all for 51.
    Shagmaster
    I'm frankly at a loss as to why anyone would pan this amp. I've played through every high-end, high-watt acoustic amp out there, including the much-ballyhooed Fishman Loudbox, and the ACX1000 stacks up nicely to all of them, surpassing many in terms of overall sound. The mic channel is simply outstanding, outdoing many spendy standalone mic preamps in terms of sound quality. Tube emulation is simply astoounding and virtually indiscernible from the real thing. Using both channels makes this amp essentially a portable PA, and the quality of sound beats the crap out of my Kustom Profile PA. There are one or two imperfections, most notably lack of a headphone-out, but other than that, this is the best piece of kit I've ever owned for AE guitar and vocals, and the output options are almost limitless. Hard to rate less than 10, in my book.
    Shagmaster
    It's hard to imagine anyone panning this amp. I've either owned or played through nearly every high-end, high-watt acoustic amp out there, including the much ballyhooed Fishman Loudbox. The ACX1000 stacks up nicely against any of them and surpasses many in terms of overall sound quality. The mic channel blows away many well-known big $ standalone mic preamps, and the tube emulation is indiscernible from the genuine article. I've had no noise issues at any volume thanks to the two feedback notch controls assigned to each channel as well as the phase inverter. The effects are top shelf and much better than the newer generation of Ultracoustics (such as the ACX1800 and 900). Using both channels makes the ACX1000 a virtual portable PA, with plenty of volume and throw (thanks to the built in kickstand). There are a couple of imperfections, such as the weight of roughly 50 lbs and the lack of a headphone out, but at prices in the $200 and under range used (this model is no longer in production), I can find no reason to rate the ACX1000 any less than 10.