Ultraroc GX110 review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Behringer: Ultraroc GX110

Price paid: € 65

I play a Fender Squier Strat with replaced pickups (humbuckers in single coil size) and use a DigiTech Screamin' Blues overdrive/distortion before the amp. My musical style is rather versatile, basically singer/songwriter with influence from everything between jazz, blues, latin and hard rock. Usually I don't need heavy distortion, but rather a good clean sound and that's what the amp delivers, if you get the EQ settings right. As far as I tried it the clean doesn't break up at high volumes. The overdrive ranges from soft crunchy tones up to rather heavy distortion for hardrock riffing or a singing lead, depending on your guitar and eq settings. But if you have a good clean sound, the overdrive (using the same eq) will sound gritty, at least for lead lines. On the other hand a good lead sound will be dull in the clean channel, so you'll have to compromise and use the controls of your guitar (what are they for, anyway?) The FX section is (for my taste) versatile and can handle all the basics. I have used some of them for recording without having to be ashamed. You'll have to find out, what you like or dislike. All presets are editable, so you can also find the right mix in most cases. One important fact should not be forgotten: it has some distinguishable background noise. I can only hear it, when I don't play, so the guitar usually covers it completely. I think it's none of the very quietest amps. On the other hand I didn't expect it to be so.

I bought this amp again, not because it's the best I can find, but because I know its features and problems and had the chance to get it and to test it intensively. If it was lost or stolen, I would not cling to it, but I'd regret the loss, though. It suffices my needs so far and if it keeps on working, I'll not replace it, unless I can afford a really, really good amp.

Now this is the point with Behringer amps. This one here is my second GX110. I bought the first in 2004 with a two year warrantry. After less than two months it started hissing and fizzling. Two times I sent it back to The Music store to have it fixed and two times the problem returned even quicker than before, so I got rid of it (and my money back). That was four years ago. The new one I bought just recently is four years old. If this one had the same problem, it would have shown before, but it seems to be ok. That's why I don't use it for a gig yet, because I need to know first, how it will do at long range. I think with Behringer it is like: either you have a product that works fine and has no problems at all, or you have an exemplar, which will always raise problems.

I bought it second hand. It is about 4 or 5 years old and once cost 165 Euros or so. But that don't matter, because you can't get it new any more. It is a 30W two channel digital modeling amp with a 10" speaker. Both channels have seperate volume control and there's still a master volume. Both channels share a 3-band equalizer. The amp has an effect section with 99 editable user presets (different kinds of reverb, phaser, chorus, flanger, tremolo, leslie, wah, pitch shifter, compressor and others). One effect preset per channel can be saved, so that you can use seperate effect settings for clean and overdrive. The GX110 comes with versatile routing features: - headphone output - 8Ohm external speaker output - line out (chinch) - line in (chinch) - insert (and return) A footswitch for channel selection and effect bypass is included. There's also a midi input, so that you can use external midi controling. I have not used the line in, external speaker output, FX loop and midi in so far, so I can't tell you anything about that. I've used the line out, though. The line out volume depends on the master volume, so you can't really use it with the amp turned up loud, because it will clip heavily. I think the Behringer GX110 is good for a practice and rehearsal amp and is definitely loud enough for that. I have not really tried it in public, but I will (on small stages), if this specimen is reliable. It is not really loud enough for gigs with miked drums - or it is loud enough, but you'll miss that power a 60W amp has, especially in the low frequencies. One thing I really miss is a seperate EQ for both channels. You'll have to compromise between clean and lead settings. You can't have it all with one EQ.

nickofzo
    the store where i bought this amp a couple of years ago has seen me 3 times in the same week.. 3 times.. three different amps.. with 3 different problems, the last time they gave me a gmx 110, that one has no big problems at all but i'm happy i've sold that amp, glad to have a marshall.. with no useless effects buzzing sounds etc etc etc etc
    ~Shred Hero~
    Im not a big fan on the Behringer quality control, then again, they are cheap products and you get what you pay for.
    brightstarz
    I have a behringer guitar, and I need a new amp, and this one sounds like exactly what I am looking for, it sounds like a great amp. i have to find it.
    Donka
    I don't agree. I one one of these amps for at least 7 years so I speak of experience. This amp is not reliable, sometimes it won't deliver any sound and it broke down several times (spent half it life in repair at the shop). The clean channel is quite OK (but nothing more than that), the overdrive channel is plainly horrible and should be avoided at any cost. The effects are useable, but still, nothing more than that. I'm using this amp mostly as a mic amp for the singer. As a guitar amp, you should look into alternatives.
    arvp53
    I have owned and used my GX 110 for at least 5 or 6 years and I've never had a problem with it I play it loud,and less loud sometimes andit just keeps working all the effects work perfectly. Probally not enough for a large club, but a smallclub or maybe a small local bar should be plenty loud unless your trying to really rock the roof off, then you'll need something bigger, you can also plug this amp into a 4X4 cab, that should give you more to work with, good luck