Ultratwin GX210 review by Behringer

Behringer: Ultratwin GX210

Purchased from: zzounds.com

The clean channel is simply excellent. I'm running it through a crappy Johnson strat copy, and my pickups are awful, but even with my awful guitar the clean tone is very good. I play mostly punk, and for clean that suits me, but the distorted channel doesn't cut it for me. It's more of a noisy buzz than good distortion. If you buy this amp and plan to use distortion, invest in a Boss DS-1 or a distortion pedal of some kind. Both channels have a slight hum, but it does not increase when the volume increases. The amp has more than enough effects, from Wah to Delay to Flanger to Phaser, and 96 more!

Excellent cleans, you can get anything from blues to jazz from this. As I said, I play mainly punk and this doesn't suit it very well, but with a good distortion pedal it will suffice just fine. The only other gear I own is a crappy acoustic and a crappy practice amp. My friend has a Marshall MG250DFX and this clean channel easily rivals his. I plan to invest in a Boss DS-1 and an Agile AL3000. If this were lost or stolen, I would probably buy its big brother, the GX212. Great deal for the money, but you're not getting a Marshall. I love the clean channel, I love the effects, but I hate the distortion. There is a slight, half-second pause between channel switching, but with a distortion pedal there wouldn't be any channel switching and the problem would be solved. Those are my only complaints. I bought this because of the price, mainly. Definitely the best you can get for your buck.

As far as I can tell, this amp is built very sturdily. I ordered the amp, and then while playing the back hissed and popped and the speakers started smoking, but zzounds shipped a new one right away. Nothing like that has happened to my current amp, so I'm assuming it was a blemished amp. I would most likely gig with this without a backup, but if I had a better amp I would use this AS the backup.

The amp features two 30w Jenson speakers, 99 built in effects, a digital MIDI interface, two channels, 3 band EQ, as well as other features. The most you can get for 200 dollars.