Ultratwin GX210 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 12/02/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Behringer: Ultratwin GX210
If you?re looking for a twin combo dedicated to crystal-clear to mildly distorted sounds with plenty of power, look no further.
 Features: 8.5
 7.4
 7.9
 6.8
 3,327
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Ultratwin GX210 Reviewed by: ohdarn323, on february 18, 2004

Purchased from: zzounds.com

Features: The amp features two 30w Jenson speakers, 99 built in effects, a digital MIDI interface, two channels, 3 band EQ, as well as other features. The most you can get for 200 dollars. // 10

Sound: The clean channel is simply excellent. I'm running it through a crappy Johnson strat copy, and my pickups are awful, but even with my awful guitar the clean tone is very good. I play mostly punk, and for clean that suits me, but the distorted channel doesn't cut it for me. It's more of a noisy buzz than good distortion. If you buy this amp and plan to use distortion, invest in a Boss DS-1 or a distortion pedal of some kind. Both channels have a slight hum, but it does not increase when the volume increases. The amp has more than enough effects, from Wah to Delay to Flanger to Phaser, and 96 more! // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell, this amp is built very sturdily. I ordered the amp, and then while playing the back hissed and popped and the speakers started smoking, but zzounds shipped a new one right away. Nothing like that has happened to my current amp, so I'm assuming it was a blemished amp. I would most likely gig with this without a backup, but if I had a better amp I would use this AS the backup. // 6

Overall Impression: Excellent cleans, you can get anything from blues to jazz from this. As I said, I play mainly punk and this doesn't suit it very well, but with a good distortion pedal it will suffice just fine. The only other gear I own is a crappy acoustic and a crappy practice amp. My friend has a Marshall MG250DFX and this clean channel easily rivals his. I plan to invest in a Boss DS-1 and an Agile AL3000. If this were lost or stolen, I would probably buy its big brother, the GX212. Great deal for the money, but you're not getting a Marshall. I love the clean channel, I love the effects, but I hate the distortion. There is a slight, half-second pause between channel switching, but with a distortion pedal there wouldn't be any channel switching and the problem would be solved. Those are my only complaints. I bought this because of the price, mainly. Definitely the best you can get for your buck. // 6

Ultratwin GX210 Reviewed by: James_M_Hendrix, on december 02, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: It was made in Germany in 2001. The amp is ok for my style. I play metal/blues. It has 2 channels, built in effects, and a headphone jack. I wish it had a heavier overdrive channel because the distorion is too weak. I use this amp at my larger gig's because it is the most powerful amp I own. It is a solid state amp. // 7

Sound: I use this amp mostly with a Fender Stratocaster and a Epi SG. It suit's my style OK. It isn't noisy but it isn't really quiet either. I use it mostly with the Overdrive on max and the EQ set like this: bass 4 - mid 6 - high 9. It has really nice cleans that don't distort at high volumes. The distortion would fit something like Zepplin or AC/DC. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it at gig's becouse I have never had any problems at a gig with it. The amp has never broken down on me. It has taken damage really well and it holds together really well. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play mostly metal and blues. It matches my style ok. I have been playing for a little under five years. If it was stollen I would probobly get replace it with a Marshal amp. I love the cleans, but I really don't care for the overdrive. I compared it to the Marshall MG series combo's. I prefered this at the time. I just wish it had a better overdrive channel. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ V-Tone GM108 7 Guitar Amplifiers 01/08/2016