V-Ampire LX1-112 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Ampire LX1-112

Generic Ibanez w/unknown pickups. Mild to wild '60s & '70s rock, blues (a little Memphis, TN influence here), some punk. Fingerpicking as well as guitar pick. Love the distortion. But clean and loud is obtainable too, just mess with all the available effects settings, you will find sounds you like. You won't like all the diff. amp types, but just change them if you really hate it.

I think I'm still deciding what styles I want to play. I played violin 4 years as a child, tenor banjo for 1 year or two, and I have been playing Takamine G Series acoustic 2+ years and electric for 4 months. I was trying to decide upon "a pedal" to add effects to a smaller amp and this has a lot of effects and I am not stuck with just one pedal that may have limited applications. I got this because I invested $275.00 and essentially got a lot of pedals and a bunch of amps and cabinets. Now I can decide if I ever need a specific pedal or a particular amp. I can try those before I buy (any night of the week in my own house) and this is upgradable with the new EPROM as well as adding to a stack. I know there is a 10 pedal panel accessory available and it is on my radar to pick up next.

I'm sure in a smaller setting it would work fine alone, in larger venues it can be connected to stacks, so it probably has the chops for what you want. It would only take a lot of noodling to figure out all the settings you prefer. Reliability: I have had it 2 weeks and have been out of town 3 days of that, so I'm behind the learning curve! gotta go play! Heavy construction and heavier to carry than I thought (I should have taken a small boy to help me hurk it out of the store).

Bought this amp new, but it is last years model? (Version 1.3 july 2004). The great part about that is the EPROM is swappable with this year's features. I am not really sure what those upgraded features will offer, but it is going to take me several month's to figure out all the settings as is. So I may or may not want or need the upgrade. 125 editable presets and up to 5 simultaneous effects. Includes a footswitch and printed manual. I use it to practice with an Ibanez and learn the basics of electric guitars. I have an acoustic, but I am new to electric. I know this has adequate watts to rattle the house, as I play in the basement. It can connect to MIDI, other speakers, headphones, and added input of CD player or drum machine. 2 X 60w stereo stereo or 1 x 120w mono speaker. The amp itself has one 12" speaker. Built in tuner for standard 6 string!