V-Ampire LX1-112 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 01/09/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Behringer: V-Ampire LX1-112
32 authentic amp models. 15 speaker cabinet simulations. 16 multi-FX.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 9.2
 7.8
 8.9
 6.6
 4,561
reviews (5) 5 comments vote for this gear:
V-Ampire LX1-112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2003

Features: I have owned a V-Amp 2 for several months, so I was an 'informed' purchaser of the V-Ampire. There are a number of very useful amp adn speaker models, as well as effects, available. Frankly, I can't think of a useful effect or amp simulation this amp lacks. That said, there are stones among the roses. The amp models range from 'adequate' (like the British Class A simulation, which is based on the Vox AC-30) to 'excellent' (like the British HiGain model of the Marshall JCM800), with many in between. I will say that of the 32 amp models and 15 speaker models, I tend to use 8-9 of the amps and 6-7 of the speakers routinely. Consider, though, that I would not like all of those AMPS if they were present; it makes sense, then, that I don't like their models. // 10

Sound: I will start out by saying that the way the amp ships it sounds like total garbage. There must be a rule somewhere that states that all factory presets have to be over-the-top caricatures of famous sounds. The input gain (look in the manual, section 3.1) in particular was far too high for any of my guitars, and this caused a buzzy, farty sound on all the high-gain models. Changing this changed the entire sound of the amp. Most of the sounds are very usable. I currently own three tube amps, and have owned more in the past. I have NOT owned all the amps modelled-who has, really? I can't judge whether the amp models are accurate on that basis. I CAN say that I can find most any sound I'm searching for with some tweaking-the models sound, generally, very good. So I'm not basing this rating on 'authenticity', but rather usability. Although the amp is rated at 70 watts through it's internal speaker, it is certainly not a LOUD 70 watts-I have doubts about this thing hanging with a drummer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's heavily built of MDF, so that's a mixed bag. I'd certianly prefer void-free birch ply, but this thing cost $300 shipped, so let's be realistic. The MIDI jacks have far too much wiggle for me to be comfortable with the long-term durability of the unit, but to be fair my V-Amp 2 has been very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this amp is going to get a real workout with me-it's very versatile, sounds very good and was really dirt-cheap. As far as bang for the buck, I can't think of anything that can touch it. This rating (like the real world!) considers price. // 10

V-Ampire LX1-112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2005

Purchased from: eBAY.com

Features: This is basicaaly my first amp that has modeling of other amps in it. The British Hi-Gain setting is awesome. I use this in L2 live mode hooked up to our PA system for local gigs. I just played to about 200 in an open air pavilion with this cranked to about 3/4 with no problems. Since I paid about half price on eBay, you have got to know I am ecstatic! I use a clean setting, distorted rhythm, and distorted lead settings on the same save bank then use the footswitch to move between. '80s rock sounds great on this amp. // 9

Sound: My Epi Les Paul sounds great but I have had to turn it down to get the clip light to go away at least half the time. I have not noticed any unwanted distortion at any level but I don't shred. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had no problems at all with this except the normal learning curve of a new amp. So, rock on Behringer! // 10

Overall Impression: I would recommend this amp to anyone willing to keep costs low and versatility high. If you have more money, get more amp. Less money, get more money! All in all, I am happy and still rockin' at 40+ years old! // 10

V-Ampire LX1-112 Reviewed by: rtko4, on april 05, 2006

Features: Bought this amp new, but it is last years model? (Version 1.3 july 2004). The great part about that is the EPROM is swappable with this year's features. I am not really sure what those upgraded features will offer, but it is going to take me several month's to figure out all the settings as is. So I may or may not want or need the upgrade. 125 editable presets and up to 5 simultaneous effects. Includes a footswitch and printed manual. I use it to practice with an Ibanez and learn the basics of electric guitars. I have an acoustic, but I am new to electric. I know this has adequate watts to rattle the house, as I play in the basement. It can connect to MIDI, other speakers, headphones, and added input of CD player or drum machine. 2 X 60w stereo stereo or 1 x 120w mono speaker. The amp itself has one 12" speaker. Built in tuner for standard 6 string! // 9

Sound: Generic Ibanez w/unknown pickups. Mild to wild '60s & '70s rock, blues (a little Memphis, TN influence here), some punk. Fingerpicking as well as guitar pick. Love the distortion. But clean and loud is obtainable too, just mess with all the available effects settings, you will find sounds you like. You won't like all the diff. amp types, but just change them if you really hate it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure in a smaller setting it would work fine alone, in larger venues it can be connected to stacks, so it probably has the chops for what you want. It would only take a lot of noodling to figure out all the settings you prefer. Reliability: I have had it 2 weeks and have been out of town 3 days of that, so I'm behind the learning curve! gotta go play! Heavy construction and heavier to carry than I thought (I should have taken a small boy to help me hurk it out of the store). // 9

Overall Impression: I think I'm still deciding what styles I want to play. I played violin 4 years as a child, tenor banjo for 1 year or two, and I have been playing Takamine G Series acoustic 2+ years and electric for 4 months. I was trying to decide upon "a pedal" to add effects to a smaller amp and this has a lot of effects and I am not stuck with just one pedal that may have limited applications. I got this because I invested $275.00 and essentially got a lot of pedals and a bunch of amps and cabinets. Now I can decide if I ever need a specific pedal or a particular amp. I can try those before I buy (any night of the week in my own house) and this is upgradable with the new EPROM as well as adding to a stack. I know there is a 10 pedal panel accessory available and it is on my radar to pick up next. // 10

V-Ampire LX1-112 Reviewed by: Arman64, on september 27, 2006

Purchased from: cranbourne music

Features: This is am newer Behringer amp which was made in 2005. This amp has to be one of the most versatile amp in history! I can ANY tone, from AC/DC to Santana and from Metallica to Steve Vai. This amp has practically every effect you have heard of! It has brilliant reverb effects and everything is adjustable and customizable. This amp has everything! Even a tuner which is also adjustable. it's a pretty powerful amp, 120W (60 watts for 2 channel) and a 12 Jensen speaker. // 10

Sound: I play everything and have been so for years but I concentrate on metal. This amp has the Mesa Rectifier settings which can annihilate everything in the room with it's distortion. I can get any tone I want from this baby, I use the Marshall JCM-800 simulation for any classic rock and then I change it to the Fender Twin for cleans. The noise can be eliminated at the settings so this can make those single coil madness go away. One thing that bothers me is that the clean doesn't go very loud when the amps distortion is too low but then just add the compressor effect and you will get double the volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is rock solid I have been using this at gigs for a year and it's in the same shape as when I had received it. The amp has never failed me, it's always in perfect shape no matter what. It's not very heavy as well so it's pretty good for transportation. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is probably the best you can buy for it's price range. This amp will suit anyone because it's made for everything (it will also save you heaps in pedal money). I have been playing guitar for years now and I own a Marshall MDX100 and a Randall amp. This amp also comes with a footpedal so you can switch between settings and tones. If this amp was stolen, I wouldent even think twice and get this amp again. The only thing I wish it had was a wah pedal but the automatic wah effects are pretty cool. I love this amp. // 10

V-Ampire LX1-112 Reviewed by: otopsy, on january 09, 2009

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: My Amp was made in 2003. And it was a great amp which was very very versatile. it had 25 channels with 5 subchannels on each channel. it had about 15 effects and a headphone, aux input+volume, sound output, 4 midi outputs and 2 extra speaker outputs. I wish it would of had a little more power I tried using it Live but it just could not get loud enough. // 8

Sound: I was using Dimebuckers. It suited my music pretty well until it began to become really unreliable. It starts to get noisy if it is turned up to loud. (when touching high with palm it gives of almost chipmunk sounding squeel)The amp has tons of variety and can be used for almost anything. The clean is beautiful almost like it is an actual acoustic guitar. The distorion will pretty much rape your ears. if you want it that way. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is THE MOST unreliable amp I'v ever owned. it was dependable until the cpu began to twack out after about 2 months of use. The amp is unusable, because it is constantly swithing through all of the channels and subchannels. It was reliable at first but not anymore. it's like it almost needs a case just so nothing bad will happen. It's really not that bad sounding but I definitely can't trust it Live or even practing anymore. // 2

Overall Impression: I Play metal and I though this was the perfect amp for a long time. I'v been playing since I was 8 and I'm now 16 so 8 years. I wish I would have saved and just bought a Line 6. because this amp really is not that reliable. If it was stolen I would not buy it again I would buy a new amp for sure. I loved the dist. and clean. but it's the worst Live amp ever. I didn't compare just bought because I needed a new amp. // 4

Comments