V-Ampire LX1200H review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Behringer: V-Ampire LX1200H

Price paid: A$ 350

I'm using a Gibson Explorer Pro, a Home made Strat with Fender Texas Specials or an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with SD pickups, and I really never got a sound I liked out of this amp. Granted, it's much better than the comparable Line 6 products, but it definitely still sounds like a modelling amp. It can cover everything from country through to brutal metal tones, but they all sound quite flat and fake.

I wouldn't buy this amp unless I was planning to just play in my room and no where else. I bought it because I thought it would be a huge upgrade from my old Marshall MG... to be honest, the MG sounded better. It DOES cover a huge array of sounds, just not that well. It sounds less digital than the Line 6 Spiders, but instead of being digital sounding, it just sounds flat and quite average.

Input jack broke within 2 weeks, the amp heated up to much that it occasionally turned itself off. Not sure whether mine was defective, but I wasn't too happy about how it performed. On stage, mid song, it began changing banks and patches sporadically. It played pretty much every sound on the amp within 10 seconds. Very embarrassing.

Tons of features, almost too many to be honest. 36 amp models or something, lots of effects... this amp certain isn't lacking in features. I bought it with the FCB1010 which was a really nice MIDI control board. It really did make accessing this amps features a lot easier.

tr_shredder
    i've been doing gigs for 2 yrs now with it.. lost a few nobs but that was my fault. sound is great. used the output directly into the board when we recorded and it sounded as good as the guys xpod live. you can hear the songs yourself. www.myspace.com/tormentridden (not spam, using an example)
    rockwillsurvive
    rockwillsurvive wrote: the amp( for being digital ) doesnt really have a digital sound. i got the head & cab for $500. it handles sound well and is awesome for the price. Line 6 is GARBGE compared this amp. most of the high gain amp models sound better than Marshalls. overall, this is 1 amp you can depend on, and is more than suitable for gigs.
    Ive had this amp for 5 months, and now the clipper activates all the dang time. the amp is good for gigs at first, but later, you should just us it for practice. i replaced it with a Ibanez TBX150H and this head is sooooo perfect for metal. plus its louder and you can adjust the settings better.
    timbit2006
    I got one used for $50.00. It is missing 3 knobs, which cost me 2 bucks each to replace. I could resell it now for 200 bucks, If I really wanted to, but I love it to much.
    kd8dqk
    I bought this head and 4x12 cab from a pawn shop for $350. I play country music and my Line 6 suddenly took a dump with a show coming up, so I took the chance. I have other stuff by Behringer and haven't had any problems. Took it from the shop directly to the venue and fell in love with it during sound check. Lots of options, easy to learn, and has good tone. Volume was also good. Overall, I'm very pleased with this amp. It does everything that I need it to do, sounds good, and seems to be touugh enough for the road.
    AJ6stringsting
    A friend of mine owns one, I tried it and love the tone it gives. I guess many people don't like this amp or they really love'em. I guess they have inconsistencies at the factory. I hope I find one of these, that's built well. If not I'm buying the rack mount version, because this amp sure delivers good tone .