V-Ampire LX1200H review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Ampire LX1200H

Purchased from: Pawn shop

This is the area where I have a slight issue with this amp. It sounds GOOD, but it doesn't sound GREAT. Maybe it's just me because for someone wholly plays metal, it would be great The rectifier and modern settings are pretty good and it can definitely sound like a metal amp. However, not all of my songs are like rock songs, so I need a great clean sound. I guess the tone is where I have a real problem, because this amp and cab have a very dark tone. Sometimes that's helpful to me but often it isn't. Still, it sounds good for the right person. It has lots of channels than can be programmed and its nice, even though its a bit of a pain to cycle from channel 4 to channel 1.

I play country music. Some tunes have a classic vibe, but most of our music borders on southern rock. I guess one would describe us as country rock, which is a very modern, kick-your-teeth-in brand of country music with HOT guitars and driving bass. But we do get quiet occasionally. This amp does its job well. It's plenty loud and the foot switch is a necessity. It's not hard to program and the modeling is as good as any I have used. Built big and heavy to travel well. Overall I do like it, but I do use rack gear with it to make the sound a little more to my liking. Used the foot switch for awhile and it works, but I went back to my trusty pedal board. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

I travel with it and have never had a problem with it. Seems durable enough, just like most things from Behringer. I cantilevered it into the trailer and don't worry about it falling apart. I'll be the first to admit that my equipment takes a little abuse. Not unnecessary abuse, but regular abuse that our stuff goes through when traveling, meaning the load-up to go to a show is slow and deliberate, but after the show its a mad dash to get the hell out of there. Things just land in odd places because we often load out in the dark. I've found my head on its top next to the door. Pick it up and get it back to work.

I found this in a pawn shop along with the matching cabinet. Messed with it for awhile and figured out that it has lots of stuff. A year later I'm still learning about what it can do. Great amp models, nice FX, and the EQ is decent. The tuner is nice even though I don't use it. Ok, I don't use it much. There are so many channels that I never use them all, but it's nice to have more than I actually need. It's 120 watts so there's really no shortage of volume. Of course there are 1/4" jacks on the back for the FX loop, foot switch, and the other standard stuff. The lighting of the knobs on the front have a cool look on a dark stage too.