V-Tone GM108 review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Behringer: V-Tone GM108

Purchased from: Kosmic

I have been using this with a Squire Bullet Strat, which I know is a beginner guitar to but this amp is bought by beginners so most people will probably have something fairly similier. I find that once I turn the amp past about 6 it's starts squeeling and making horrible sounds, the amp on 6 is fairly loud though. It's a manual modelling amp so you can pretty much get any tone out of it, the quality of that tone may not be great but you should get reasonabilly close. I never really used the amp loud enough on clean to possibly distort it so I can't actually say how good the cleans are when cranked although I guess they would start cracking up around 8. You can get a decent rock distortion but there is no metal sounds possible out of this, not that I have come across anyway.

If you want to play metal do not buy this amp. It's a decent beginner amp which should get you through the beginning stages. I had the option between this and the Peavy Rage I should have bought the Rage although back then I wasn't into metal so I guess this was the choice at the time. If it were stolen I wouldn't be to concerned and would go and buy a different amp. I hadnt really done any homework when it came to getting amps and this was the first one the guy showed me and he was playing some good stuff on it so I ended up buying it. I wish this amp had better distortion, even on 'hot gain' and 10 gain it dosn't sound metal at all.

The amp is pretty sturdy. I dropped it accidently and it fell face first and all of the manual modelling part dissapeared into the amp. I took it to a local shop to get it fixed, they couldnt do it so they sent it to Behringer and about a week later I had a new one. SO customer service was pretty good. This was after I had the amp for probably 6 months.

I bought this amp in late 2005, I have no idea when it was actually made though. I play mainly metal and for metal this amp just dosn't cut it, it's 'high gain' is pretty average. The amp has only one channel although so to change the sound you must mess with the knobs. I personally never really used the 'californian' or 'british' tones although they didn't sound to bad. It does have a headphone jack which is a great addition, the amp is only 15 watts as it is though os most of the time headphones arnt needed.