V-Tone GM108 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Tone GM108

Purchased from: Private

15 watt practice guitar amp. Single channel, analog modelling, instrument and CD inputs, headphone out. 8" speaker. Chinese made from the value brand Behringer. Modelling section provides simulations of 3 classic amplifier styles: American, British, high gain, with 3 variations of each; hot, high gain, clean, and further tonal variety by way of speaker type selection: US, UK or flat. Decent low mid and high eq knobs and drive and master volume controls give as much control of tone as any competitors offerings.

For very little money, this amp provides a wide range of useful tones. My version has the original Behringer 8" speaker which performs very well with no discernible noise or adverse coloration of tone. I believe the later models have a Bugera speaker fitted as standard, widely recognized as superior. I cannot comment on comparison only to say that mine performs adequately as is. The modelling section sets this amp apart from more basic, mainstream small amps in that it allows the user to change the overall character of the tone. Although these modelled tones as with all amps of this nature are subjective and are rarely perfect recreations, they do still get in the ball park of tones it tries to emulate. I use a variety of guitars through the amp with all pickup varieties and configurations. I play all styles of music and this amp will provide useful sounds for any genre. Pure cleans to monster distortion and all in between.

This was purchased second hand and is probably over 10 years old. It has held up well cosmetically and still looks good. I have no fear of it falling apart. At 15 watt output it is not powerful enough for live performance without micing it up or possibly using the headphone output as a line out to be taking via a desk? I am using this as an unobtrusive extra amp at home for practice and running new ideas, so hardly an abusive environment. It's light, small size is very convenient for moving around. I have as much confidence in the reliability and durability of this as I do any of my most trusted gear.

These are available for very little money and represent incredible value. It will never replace a quality valve amp or be suitable for live performance but used in the manner it was designed for will not disappoint. The modelling section reminds me of the Sansamp and is a fair take on this by Behringer. It should be considered as a capable practice device allowing the user to match their guitar tone to the genre or track chosen. Consider this piece of gear as a reliable go to that will never let you down. I have no trouble in recommending this product.

sygourny
    hey, can i hook up a mic to this amp? I bought a Newer 700 condenser mic and I was hoping i could but i don't really see how... any help? Thanks!