V-Tone GM108 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 01/08/2016 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Behringer: V-Tone GM108
These amps are designed to provide a tube-like feel and sound with flexibility and road-worthiness. All the models feature 27 amp and speaker simulation combinations.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Features: 7.3
 7.4
 6.6
 15,295
reviews (18) pictures (3) 39 comments vote for this gear:
V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2004

Purchased from: The Guitar Store

Features: This amp has a rating of 15 watts but can be extremely loud with the overdrive. It has also got analogue modelling so your 40 quid can go a long way. It has a normal input jack a cd input jack and a headphone output jack. It has a Behringer stock 8" speaker that does the job just fine. It also has a 3 way tone control whohc justs makes it better than it already is. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Korean Strat copy with stock pickups but it still can make a cheap guitar sound amazing. I play mostly rock music and the wide range modelling and overdrive controls are great. You can have a lovely toneful clean sound or all out super overdrive metal if you want. It does get a bit of feedback at high volumes though but if your practising at home you dont need it too loud so that doesn't matter! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for around a year and has been bashed around alot. No scratches or anything. Nothing broken. No need to call Behringer. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play mostly rock and this amp suits my playing perfectly. But if you wanted you could play nice clean soft stuff or heavy metal. If it was stolen I would definately buy it again. It's a great amp for 40. My favourite feature is the modelling. It's great coz you don't have to go out and spend hindreds on an amp modeller and pedals because its all in one box here for you. It's a great amp and even better its only 40! // 10

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: jeremy_chan, on august 13, 2005

Purchased from: Parsons Music Centre

Features: I'm not really sure when this amp was built but I guess it doesn't really matter when it comes to quality. Speaking of quality, this was the worst amp I have ever puchased due to the distortion tones and the other 27 other 'classic' tones that are just utterly useless. The only tone that this amp can handle would probably be the clean tone which is a very rare tone I use because I mostly play metal, hard rock, nu-metal and other types of music that don't require clean tones so often. The amp is probably rather loud, even when's the master volume is at 3, my ears start to hurt, but the clean sound will hardly ever be loud enough, even when it's at 5. On the other hand, it's an o. k amp for beginners. // 2

Sound: I'm currently using an Ibanez RG450LTD with H-S-H pickups and in my opinion, it only sounds good on clean, which means the distortion I get from this amp purely sucks. The best distortion tone I could get from this amp wouldn't even match an early deep purple tone which is a big shame, as I play mostly Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Evanescence and Guns N' Roses kind of stuff. What's even worse, is that even when the 'distortion' is switched on, I get a lot of feedback, even though I have humbucker pickups on my Ibanez, making this amp far from bad. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Never in a million years would I depend on this amp for a gig and the word 'backup' wouldn't even exist with the new amp I'm planning to get which is going to sustain my effect pedal because after using my mt-2 metal on this amp, I totally screwed to sound up even more for some reason, because I thought that this amp, in fact all amps, were made to handle such effect pedals but not in this case. In fact, within the first week of using my effect pedal on this amp, it screwed up the sound coming out of the amp making the distortion tone on this amp seem like it didn't exist in the first place because it was just a worthless tone. // 2

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, nu-metal and hard rock and this is definately not a good match, in fact this amp is purely useless when it comes to producing good tones which I really want but this amp simply can't do the right job. I'm going to definately buy a new amplifier soon that will 'actually' sustain a distortion pedal which won't screw up the sound coming out of the amplifier. // 2

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: ndfcartman, on october 01, 2004

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: The Behringer GM108 is very versatile, it can fit just about any kind of genre. I play just about everything from Blink 182 to Slipknot. The amp has a head phone jack, and cd input. It has 27 "classic" presets, it can have the cleanest sounds, or the crunchiest most distorted sounds. I use this amp in my medium sized rooms for practice with my band, it has enough power for a small gig or practice. // 8

Sound: I'm not exactly sure of the brand of the guitar, but it's standard size with 3 single coils, the amp fits many many music styles. I mainly play the "lighter" rock, but I can't help but attempt to play heavier rock such as Korn or Slipknot. The amp isn't really loud of clean, but when you put it on the distortion mode and turn it to 4 that would be the equivalent to clean on 10 (goes 1-10). The amp has many different sounds, the clean sounds the same on all volumes, the disrortion is very nice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think the amp is very reliable, it hasn't disappointed me yet. I wouldn't use it on a gig because it is only a 15 watt, but I'm sure if I had a bigger amp that was the same brand, Behringer, I wouldn't need a backup. The amp hasn't broken down yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many kinds of rock, and it matches them very well. I've been playing for about a month now, I would definately buy this amp again if I was looking for a 15 watt, but if I was going for a bigger amp it would still be a Behringer. I love turning up the distortion on it and having a headphone jack, and cd input. The only thing I don't like is the buzzing and vibrating sounds, at times, I was either going to buy this Behringer GM108, or the Crate 15 watt. I'm not sure of the model, I chose this one because the Crate was 150 and this one is only 60 and the reviews we're good for this amp, I wish it was bigger. // 8

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: bigtimmy, on october 24, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Store

Features: 15w solid state amp/8" speaker. 27 different settings from ultra clean to heavy crunch. CD input so you can jam along to your favourite music. Headphone output so you can play as loud as you like without bugging anyone. Since I use this amp to practise on in my bedroom, it's fantastic to lug around the house and because it is seriously tiny and weighs nothing it's very easy to stuff into a school bad if you want to take it travelling. // 7

Sound: I can say that the clean is quite reasonable for this little thing. It does produce a crapload of noise at high levels but it is extremely quiet with the drive down so that's a downside. I quite like the UK setting on it, especially when I run this through my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. The distortion is a joke however, no sustain at all, palm muting sounds awful. If you like metal/rock, get yourself an effect pedal if you are on this low of a budget, otherwise get yourself a valve-state amp. // 4

Reliability & Durability: If there is one thing to be proud of with this amp, its how much crap it can take. I always play this amp above seven at full drive and I've been doing this for over a year. Obviously you would be laughed at for even thinking this thing will be heard over drums so gigging is a non-issue. Seriously though this thing is tough as a brick shithouse. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is reasonable if you want a tough little stuff around amp. An effect pedal is essential for a decent distortion sound so perhaps a hard rocker may want to seriously consider avoiding this amp unless you can get it very cheap. I wouldn't buy this again because I recently aquired my new Roland Cube 60 which is god compared to the GM108. I would however recommend this to a true beginner. It's cheap and durable and can get a newbie started on their way to stardom. // 7

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: wannabe jesus, on april 12, 2006

Purchased from: Surrey Music Store

Features: This 15w amp has analogue modelling which can give you '27 classic tones', headphone jack and a CD input jack. I play mainly rock, and this amp fits it pretty well. You can get some good tones using the modelling (I'll explain this later), it has a lovely clean tone and can create some quite godd distortion. The 8" sspeaker can really throw out some loud sounds, I use this amp in my bedroom and I rarely turn the master volume above 1! // 8

Sound: I'm using a Tanglewood strat copy through this and it sounds great, with the modelling you can get very precise tones. The clean tones are clean at all sound levels (even though you can't get it very loud on clean), the hi gain distortion is a 'not over the top' distortion sound which is what I like while the 'hot' is very distorted. Now the modelling, With this you can choose what amp you want it sound like, there is Californian (a great crisp sound), British (a more 'rock' sound), Tweed (quite bassy, I think it sounds like you've shut the amp in a cupboard and closed the door). The next set of 3 options is clean (you guessed it, a clean sound), Hi gain (an overdriven sound) and hot (A really overdriven sound) and the last is the type of speaker you want it to sound like there's U. S (sounds like a 2 x 12" open-back speaker), U. K (sounds much like the U. S if I'm honest but a tiny bit more bassy) and flat (sounds like UK but quieter). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp hasn't broken on me yet and looks like it can take a lot. I could depend on it at a gig but it may not be loud enough for a gig to be honest but I wouldn't need backup. // 7

Overall Impression: If this were lost or stolen I would buy it again. It is a very versatile amp which can give alot of different sounds and for 70 it's great value for money! I had the choice of other amps as well but chose this because of the variety of sounds I could get from it. // 8

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: tristan123/, on july 26, 2006

Purchased from: guitar store

Features: Claimed to have 27 "classic" sounds with its switches for high gain, uk, californian etc. Bit of a joke really, because most of them are hopeless! Has headphone jack, cd input. Because of it's 3-way changing sounds with 9 settings, technically it has 27 different sounds. But forget 20 of em, if you want to play rock/metal the distortion is rubbish, and only sounds half decent and clear when on clean settings, which I never need. It was my very first amp and the features are overwhelming at first, while your nieve that is, as soon as I got my Marshall G15RCD a month ago, there was no match, both 15 watt practice amps, but no competition.Features will satisfy many beginning guitarists. // 5

Sound: Used Fender Strat. Now I've my Marshall, and play on Behringer, it sounds like there's a duvet in front of it, you don't notice this unless you have 2 amps, so it's ok. Believ me, this amp can get loud! Not very pleasant though. The amp can interchange between a fair few sounds (country, blues rock) but some sound too similar. For the price you cannot complain for too long, but overall it's unsatisfactory. I play rock/metal and blues. I lived with it for 6 months and worked at least. It is ok until you start comparing the sound with other brands. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Had 8 months. Taken quite a bit of bashing, still works, but the tacky, cheap switches got loose. just tightened them up. // 8

Overall Impression: My advice would be: if you get this amp, use it only if you are a beginner have the low budget and intend to play dreadful rock! or fair sounding clean settings at low volume! I do not love anything about it apart from the fact that you can sit and laygh at it when you a get a new amp. Like I said, ok for beginners. // 4

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: scarfacesuit, on june 13, 2007

Purchased from: Jenning's Music

Features: The GM108 is just a simple 15 watt practice amp. No effects, and only 1 channel, but man this baby can growl. It's got multiple amp models and, of course, 3 band EQ built in. I wish it had delay or some form of reverb on it, but, for the price, it's a great amp anyway. // 8

Sound: I'm playing this through a Michael Kelly Patriot Q, which is really what makes this map Shine. This little amp can do great clean tones, and the overdrive/distortion is pretty good too. I play a lot of Blues/Rock and sometimes a little Metal, and this amp can pretty much work for it all. The cleans were a little tough to adjust at first, but once I figured out how to make it work well, I can play clean, and pretty loud too. When you turn up the Drive, amp, mode, and speaker switches, this sucker can put out a lot of noise, but feedback is a big issue. No problem for me, just get a noise gate. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing has suffered through multiple band practices and 3 gigs (along with leaving it at friend's houses, stowing it in his car, etc). It's pretty durable I think, but I've been pretty good with it. After maxing out the volume and everything else on it, it still sounds great to me. Haven't blown a speaker or anything. // 9

Overall Impression: I was surprised when I first received this (it came in a guitar/amp pack, but at Jenning's, they gave me a Johnson electric rather than the Behringer elecric). I figured this little amp would be useless, but as I never had enough money to fork out for anything better, I gave it a shot, and It's worked very well for me. I've compared the distortion on this amp with an Ibanez Tone Blaster half stack, and this little guy sounds so much better. I do sometimes wish it had multiple channels, but I don't think any 15 watt amps have more than one. Overall, I love this little amp, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's starting out on guitar, or eve an intermediate player. // 9

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: ScruffMcGruff, on august 07, 2007

Purchased from: N/A

Features: This little practice amp surprised me at how versatile it truly can be. It's got a headphone socket if you're practicing at night, so you don't have to disturb anyone else, ideal if you're in a dorm or apartment, but you'll need a headphone cord-guitar output cord converter to plug in any headphones (if they use the standard headphone cords). You can easily change the way it works with an analog modelling panel. For customizing the sound of the amp there are plenty of features. It has an analog modelling panel that consists of 3 switches, one for the speaker's style of sound, (US, UK, or FLAT) another for the AMP's general mode, (clean playing, hi-gain, or "hot"/really distorted) and the last setting has different equalizer settings to give you drastic tone changes. (California, British, or Tweed). With all these setting's combined you can have up to 27 combinations of effects just from you're amplifier alone and that's not including all the Drive and equalizer knob settings. The equalizer knobs have the standard high and low range knobs, but they've also fit in a mid range knob. You can set it up real high to give you're playing more depth or take it away to let the low or high sound frequencies come through better. As if that wasn't enough, Behringer even fit in a CD input socket for you to listen to you're CD music on the amp to play along. To tell you the truth though, you'll be better off using your computer to play your music. To use the CD input you'll need a special converter part (of course) to fit onto the output cord of the sound source, because it doesn't use an ordinary headphone-like socket, instead they used the bulky guitar signal input socket. Which makes that feature almost meaningless to have on this amp. Never the less though, it has plenty more features for to mess with to vary you're guitar playing. // 9

Sound: The variety in the tones that this AMP can do is large. I was able to set it up to get some sounds that closely resemble that of Malcom Young's guitar (AC/DC). And can play shot down In Flames as if it were the actual Mp3 from my computer. It plays cleanly as it can play dirty as well. I imagine if I knew more blue's riffs It would sound great on this amp, and I'm inclined to try it out sometime. The only beef I have with this amp is that it can't handle distinction between pitchs at relatively high Drive levels. It frequently distorts and blends it all together into a monotone pitch. I have to hook up a guitar effect processor to do the high distortion jobs for the amp to get a heavy metal sound with the distinction between pitches that I required. This all while playing on a rather new guitar, a G&L Legacy, Tribute series guitar. Un-modded. So I doubt it's the guitar doing it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The different tones you can achive with this amp are amazing. For only a 15-watt this thing can pack a lot of punch as a starter amp. But if it isn't quite enough for you, it's speaker's design can handle up to 20-watts. So if you wanna rig it (although it voids the warrantee) you can do so, but I don't recommend it. At it's stock set up it makes it great for small gigs, but anything with groups of people larger than 100 and you'll need something bigger. This amp won't tweak easily either if you bang it here and there or accidentally unplug the guitar while it's still on, it handles the buzzing noise well so it can't easily ruin you're speaker. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great choice if you're either looking to play good ol' classic rock band music and if you want it can play as clean as a whistle, good for blue's leads and take a fair amount of accidental abuse as far as I can tell. I've only been playing for 4 and a half months, but don't let my short guitar experience put you off from this review I can get quite picky when it comes to the sound of the tones coming out of my amp. I have a good ear for tone and pitch. For a beginner/traveller amp, this will be an excellent choice. // 8

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: The4thHorsemen, on august 20, 2007

Features: This amp has tons of cool settings. it has a Drive knob to add or take away distortion, A Switch to give it different classic amp sounds includes calif (ornian), british, and tweed. Then there's the mode Switch to change the basic sound chosen with the amp Switch. it pretty much changes the distortion, its three settings are hot, hi gain, and clean. then there's the speaker switch which has three loudspeaker simulations, US, UK, and flat. then it has the low knob, the mid knob, and the HIGH knob. and of course, master which is the master volume control (oh yea, it comes with a power Switch, which is handy for those odd times when you actually want to turn your amp off) aside from the instrument input it also has CD input, so that you can play along with a CD. and the coolest is the headphones output for when you don't want to bug anybody else. This is also good for plugging it into pretty much anything else. I use it mostly to record stuff on my computer. the only problem with this is that I had to buy an adapter for it because it needs a 1/4" connector. // 8

Sound: This amp has tons of settings. You can find pretty much any sound you want with it. I'll describe the different features I mentioned above now The AMP settings CALIF(ornian) The user's manual describes this the best, it says, "Lead and hot rhythms sounds are what you get with this setting. This is the amp for that typical Nu Metal Californian sound." It's the heaviest sounding amp setting. British, this amp setting gives a British Invasion sound. It stresses the mids a lot. Tweed is the cleanest amp setting with as the manual says "dynamic bass and clear transparence." Hot is really distorted with lots of sustain. Hi Gain can be crunchy or distorted, kinda in between hot and clean. Clean is just that, clean. it has no distortion. I'm gonna quote the manual again to describe the speaker settings because I can't do it any better. Flat "specially tailored for the GM108" as the name says, this one's kinda flat sounding. Three times three times three equals 27, so with all the switches it has 27 different sounds and dials to mess with the Drive and highs, mids, and lows. I feel it's a very good practice amp with tons of versatility. You can get anything from extremely heavy to really soft and clean sounds. one main problem I have with it though is that the Drive affects the overall volume a lot, so that the more you turn down the Drive, the more you have to turn up the volume to keep the same level. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty reliable from what I can tell. I've had it about a year now and I've had no problems with it messing up. The only thing is that when it's turned up really loud, like 7 or so on the volume with as much distortion you can get out of it is starts to rattle a little bit, like the whole thing is shaking, because it's so small it's literally dancin around on the floor. But this hasn't messed with it's performance any. It sounds as good as the day I got it and I've treated it pretty badly, dropped it, set heavey stuff on top of it, etc. it's pretty sturdy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all different kinds of music, and this fits all of em. I didn't have anything to do with buying it as my parents got it for me for christmas, and even though they didn't really know what they were doing they did pretty good. It sounds like they got a lot of help when picking it out. I don't know how much it cost exactly but they said it wasn't too bad. It's not perfect, I wish it had some cool effects like you'd get from a processor, but it's pretty good for a beginner or just as a practice amp. // 9

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: howey, on august 29, 2007

Purchased from: Kosmic

Features: I bought this amp in late 2005, I have no idea when it was actually made though. I play mainly metal and for metal this amp just dosn't cut it, it's 'high gain' is pretty average. The amp has only one channel although so to change the sound you must mess with the knobs. I personally never really used the 'californian' or 'british' tones although they didn't sound to bad. It does have a headphone jack which is a great addition, the amp is only 15 watts as it is though os most of the time headphones arnt needed. // 7

Sound: I have been using this with a Squire Bullet Strat, which I know is a beginner guitar to but this amp is bought by beginners so most people will probably have something fairly similier. I find that once I turn the amp past about 6 it's starts squeeling and making horrible sounds, the amp on 6 is fairly loud though. It's a manual modelling amp so you can pretty much get any tone out of it, the quality of that tone may not be great but you should get reasonabilly close. I never really used the amp loud enough on clean to possibly distort it so I can't actually say how good the cleans are when cranked although I guess they would start cracking up around 8. You can get a decent rock distortion but there is no metal sounds possible out of this, not that I have come across anyway. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The amp is pretty sturdy. I dropped it accidently and it fell face first and all of the manual modelling part dissapeared into the amp. I took it to a local shop to get it fixed, they couldnt do it so they sent it to Behringer and about a week later I had a new one. SO customer service was pretty good. This was after I had the amp for probably 6 months. // 7

Overall Impression: If you want to play metal do not buy this amp. It's a decent beginner amp which should get you through the beginning stages. I had the option between this and the Peavy Rage I should have bought the Rage although back then I wasn't into metal so I guess this was the choice at the time. If it were stolen I wouldn't be to concerned and would go and buy a different amp. I hadnt really done any homework when it came to getting amps and this was the first one the guy showed me and he was playing some good stuff on it so I ended up buying it. I wish this amp had better distortion, even on 'hot gain' and 10 gain it dosn't sound metal at all. // 7

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2007

Purchased from: Dv247.com

Features: I'm sure it had loads of features but quite frankly if the poxy thing breaks after a couple of weeks of careful use then what's the point. This poxy site wants me to write more so here goes, When things were made in britain, they lasted, when they were made in america, they lasted, when they were made in germany and japan they lasted, when made in china however they break after a couple of gusts of wind. // 6

Sound: When it worked, fair play it did sound quite good, but there's not that much in the way of variety. This poxy site wants me to write more so here goes, when things were made in britain, they lasted, when they were made in america, they lasted, when they were made in germany and japan they lasted, when made in China however they break after a couple of gusts of wind.I apologize for this rubbish you don't want to hear in all sections, it made me do it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Italian cars are more reliable than this piece of chinese crap. Broke after about 3 weeks and I never even got it above level 4 on volume ffs. It was quite difficul to smash up though, and this job did require a decent hammer. This poxy site wants me to write more so here goes, when things were made in britain, they lasted, when they were made in america, they lasted, when they were made in germany and japan they lasted, when made in china however they break after a couple of gusts of wind. // 1

Overall Impression: If it had been more reliable then it would have been a good amp, but to break after 3 weeks use and 3 fluffy rabbit gentle use weeks as well is quite frankly disgusting. I've a good mind to fly to china and send the factory a nice Molotov but I'm afraid that the factory is occupied by vegetables and the occasional remote controlled car. // 1

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: reverber21, on november 26, 2008

Features: I do not know when the amp was made, I would have to say maybe 4 years ago. the amp is perfect for my playing style, it only has one channel but I tend to play the same style of music so I never need to adjust the effects. this amp has one channel, an anolog modeling system with settings from top to bottom Amp: California, British, Tweed. Mode: Hot, Hi gain, and Clean. Speaker: U.S., U.K., and Flat. I play mainly rock, with a little bit of blues so it give you the basics of what you need and that little bit more. I use this amp when playing with some friends or at a small party, it's loud enough to get the noise going but not so loud that people begin to complain. // 10

Sound: I am using a Behringer guitar with the standard pick up style, it only has one channel, but I tend to play the same style of music so I never need to adjust the effects. I play mainly rock, with a little bit of blues added into it for some variety. the amplifier is not noisy and works in all types of enviorments, the amo can go from a heavy distortion to a very clean sound. the clean channel is not distorted at all, it gets a little muted when you go to max volume on u.s., california, and hot. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this amp at a very small gig or on road side playing but not at a standard gig of 50+ people. I would use this at the small gigs and not bring a back up because I have pushed this amp to it's limits and it still works like it was out of the box. // 7

Overall Impression: I play rock and alternative rock and this amp would be perfect for practice and for playing with a couple of friends. I have been playing for 4 years and I also own a '82 Ibanez blazer and a '80 Squier Bronco Bass. if this amp was stolen I would definetley buy this product again. I love how small it is and how loud it is from it's size. I also compared this product to a Behringer gmx 210, granted it doesn't have all of the effects that the gmx does, but it has the same sound quality as the gmx 210. I recomend this product to anybody Who is looking for a good practice amp. // 9

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: Electric Hex, on january 27, 2009

Features: This is the baby of the older version of Behringer combo amps. They now sell digital ones which provide better frequency dependancy. This amp is powered by a custom 15w Behringer speaker which is made specially for this amp. There is small modelling panel where different sounds can be used together ( one from each section at a time. ) The first section Amp models: Tweed, British, Californian. 2nd Section: (mode) features Clean, Hi gain and Hot. These are almost like channels but cannot be modified independantly. 3rd Section: (cabinets) features flat cab, UK, and US. Used in conjunction you can get 27 different modes with these setting, and this is setting aside the EQ. 3band EQ with low, mid, and high volumes, I gain, and 1 master volume. Amp also features a CD input so you can play songs through the GM's speaker and play along, and a headphone output for silent practicing, overall quite a lot for a practice amp. // 7

Sound: I own two guitars; One cheap Behringer guitar that it came with, but it sounds ok, great on clean. This is my single coil guitar, although it has a bridge humbucker aswell. My other guitar is a customized LAG AM 100, you can buy these new for 329 but I had some EMG HZ's put in ( 2 active humbuckers and a single coil ) they sound soo much better. I play anything that catches my ear, but particularly like clean playing and power metal, anthem rock, you know the things that really pump out the tubes. I also experiement a lot with my fx panel ( Behringer v amp 2. ) The clean channel is satisfactory, but can be made really nice through a preamp or on some smooth coils, as I have done, the clean channel does not go very loud without gain. However gain can make the clean muddy, while if I use my preamp I can boost the volume without any gain at all and get crystal clean. The hi gain mode imitates the british cabs that everyone has heard but lacks some bass, a bit too brittle sometimes. The hot mode is ok once you get past the feedback, just have the volume below 4 if gain is on 10. The overall sound that can come out of the hot channels and distortion EQ can be surprising, I have made palm muting metal, fat bottomed rock, distorted jazz, heavy alternative and all sorts, but you need to play around with it for like 2 minutes. This amp is loud enough to be heard over an acoustic drummer ( without mics ) but not on clean mode. You use it for band practice in a garage, classroom etc but would be too quiet for pubs, clubs or halls. This amp does not have much versatility but in terms of how it is priced and for a pack amp, it beats the rest. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a tank. I have never dropped it but I can feel that the wood and leather is very tough. It is waterproof so you can carry it without a caser in the rain, just don't expose the speaker. I have owned this thing for 9 months but I would count on it lasting atleast 5 years with continous practice and tansport. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is only really suitable for a beginner, I have been playing for 9 months now but have had previous experience through other people, so I am now looking for a new amp but have spent ages researching.:) If this amp was stolen or lost I would invest in a Marshall JCM combo or a Fender Super Champ XD, because I need to move up a stage but need nothing that loud. The amp is built to last and will not break down on you unless you expose it to water or liquids. It is a fantastic offer for the RRP of 45 english pounds so it is super affordable. Using the californian modes you can get some red hot chili pepper sounds from it, and could possibly do Metallica through the hot, this amp is not too good for sweeping but riffs, chords and rhythms it should excell at. If you are a beginner rhythm guitarist Who plays more than just one style of music on a budget, get this. However, If you love classic rock, the older stuff, get an Orange Crush 10. If you love Metallica, get a Randall KH-15, it's really worth the extra 15 pounds. For other practice amps under 60 I would seriously recommend the Roland Micro Cube, it is definetly better than this but does not go loud enough to even practice with. Its a matter of opinion but my advice is don't spend too much time thinking about your first amp, because you are always going to get another one if you are serious. My only guideline is spend atleast 40, any less than this and you will be sorely disappointed. Hope this helps. // 8

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on february 18, 2010

Price paid: € 99

Purchased from: Power-Sound

Features: My GM108 was made in 2009 and has a 8" speaker, 15 W power, CD input and headphone jacks and some tone controllers to get various clean & distorted sounds out of it. Since I use a separate effects pedal, this amp has pretty much all I need. Some integrated effects would be nice, still, as well as a larger speaker. But for the price paid, you can't really expect everything. You can get enough volume out of this little box to Drive your neighbors out of their apartments, though. // 8

Sound: I wish it had better (more brutal) distorted metal sounds, but it does give a nice tone to my guitars (Ibanez XPT700 & ESP LTD M-50). I'd rather use it for rock than metal. I've managed to get nice sounds out of my GM108 to play along with Black Sabbath, My Dying Bride, Nirvana and some other bands. There is a surprising amount of variation in tones, when you go through all the knobs and switches. Unfortunately, there is also some noise. I never tried the GM108 at very high volumes, so I can't tell if it still sounds good loud. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Obviously this is not an amplifier to use for live playing. It never broke or had any issues at home use, though. Overall, the product seems pretty solid and long-lasting - at least for home use. I think it's still better suited for beginners, like many of the Behringer products. // 8

Overall Impression: The GM108 is a good match with some of The Music styles I play, mainly with some 70's rock and metal, and some British pop music. If mine was stolen or lost, I wouldn't get it again. I'd save my money for Vox VT50 or maybe even VT100. Simply for the better speaker and larger variety of sounds. I like the ease of use and controls, but I dislike the metal sounds (or rather, not having them). I ordered it via the internet, so I didn't do any comparison by ear with other, similar products. The price was a strong selling point. I wish it had a foot pedal, some effects and better metal sounds. // 7

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: I bought the amp eight years ago. Came as a starter pack with a cheap guitar, strap, picks, and a cable. Has a Drive and volume knob, along with standard 3-band eq. Has 3 sets of switches to switch amp type, gain mode, and speaker. No reverb or any other effects. The amp, I would like to say first and foremost, is a great starting amp for all but the br00tal teen metalcore players. If you're into that, look into a Line 6 or other amps I hate. This amp can get some nice cleans, nice chuncky distortion, and can even do metal decently; but palm mutes lack punch. A nice pedal in front can remedy that. To a starting player, I recommend a DigiTech RP pedal. The amp essentially can have 27 different sounds, though I don't use or like all of them. Some also seem to be too similar to others, though the difference gets bigger as you mess with the eq and drive. The amp has good features for the price. I would've liked reverb and better Drive channels, though. // 7

Sound: I play some blues-style stuff, to rock and heavy metal, but mostly I play melodic death metal. For such a small amp, it works fine, but like I said, the palm mutes lack power, which is a pretty big part of extreme metal in general. I also find it hard to nail down a good clean tone that is full-bodied with just a little bit of distortion. It's either too clean, the distortion only comes through when I strum hard, or it is just too grainy. But, if you're going for a more general rock or clean sound, you will probably find something close to it. The Drive knob works good for the higher gain channels, but for the clean ones, it can get a bit hit and miss. The volume knob seems to jump a bit at around 2 when gain is up past 8. The pure clean tones are great, though a bit quiet if gain is down. It can get very bass-y for a small speaker. The Drive channels are kinda meh... There is a nice distorted sound to find, but too much and power chords start to get muddy. However, there is very little feedback compared to what I was expecting. I play through an Ibanez RG370 and an Epi Les Paul Special II, and I used to play with the crappy guitar the amp came with. Both guitars have distinct tone when played (not counting the crap guitar), the Epi's nice warm tone, and the more rock-suited Ibanez. All around, the amp is OK. For a "modeling" amp, I would expect some more variety. If you shop used, you can get a better sounding amp for the same money or a little more. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I had this thing for eight years. I played it for around two, then let it sit for about three, and I've been playing it for another three years. Sounds the same, even though I've left it in the rain, dropped it on tile, knocked it over, kicked it, etc. Pretty sturdy. If I was to gig, I would go with my bigger amp, a Peavey Bandit. But, if sound wasn't an issue, and I couldn't use that amp, I would depend on this. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp suits me OK. For clean tones or for hard rock, this will work. But it lacks in my favorite genre to play - melodic death metal. A lot of the modeling combinations are either redundant or just don't work for me. But the ones that do work work rather well. I've been playing for eight years, this amp on and off for around five or six, and it's alright. Borrowed a friends for a few years which crapped out on me, and now I recently got a Peavey Bandit (which I already love). If this got stolen, I would take the robber for a retard (could've stolen a Bandit, or a guitar that's worth four times as much as the amp). I would probably try to find out who did it, but I wouldn't worry too much. I've gotten more than a hundred bucks worth of use out of it. It's good for starting guitarists into rock or acoustic playing, but br00talz metalheads need to look elsewhere. Any experienced guitar players should also look somewhere else - either save up, or buy used. It's not worth buying this amp to upgrade from a small 5 or 10 Watt amp, or as a quality practice amp. Try going for a small tube amp, or maybe a bigger amp with adjustable wattage. // 8

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: austin_m, on april 10, 2012

Features: From the research that I have done they began making this model in 2003. It is great for what I play which is classical rock and some Metallica. It has 3 channels. It has a 1/4 inch jack for your instrument another for cd/mp3 player and a third for headphones. I use the amp for in my hose or out side use till I get better. It has plenty enough power for what I use it for it rattles the windows in my house which are all new. // 8

Sound: Right now I am using a First Act guitar with stock pickups and this amp makes it sound amazing. It fits me and my music style great which is classic rock and newer rock. Its noisy on all settings and in my house and outside it can be clean or distorted clean if you have all of the master and Drive all the way dose get a little distorted. In any setting. The distortion is vary brutal if all the way up but if you have it all the way up you must not like the sound of what your playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it for what ever I need I would use it in a smaller gig but not a big gig its been beat around a lot since I have had it and still nothing wrong with it no scratches nothing. It is vary well kept care of. I play on it every day. It has never broke so I have not had to replace anything. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock its a perfect match to me. I've been playing for 2 or 3 years. I also own a Indiana acoustic guitar a First Act electric guitar. I don't wish I asked more then what I did I was told all about what I was getting. If it were lost or stolen I would buy the same thing or a little bigger one. I love the whole thing I wish it had some effects other than just distortion. My favorite feature would have to be the distortion. The main reason I got it was for the distortion. When I got it I compared it to a Fender amp and this one seemed like a better buy. // 9

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: Alexx_212, on january 09, 2013

Purchased from: A local store in Romania

Features: This amp is good enough to play some hard stuff, but it sucks at clean tones.It features quite a lot of functions such as three amp models (Calif, British, Tweed), 3 channels(Clean, HiGain, Hot) and 3 speaker settings (UK, US, Flat).As well as a 3 band EQ. It has a headphone input, a CD player (for jamming along a backing track), and an input for the instrument (oh, well).It is not tube, nor "100% solid state", but a modellng amp, but it can be considered a kind of solid state. I use it for practice, as I don't have any other more powerful amp:D. // 7

Sound: I usually have 2 types of rig choices in my house: Cort Ts250 plugged in a wah and then in the Behringer, and the second one is a Jay Turser JT-220D Serpent plugged in a Marshall MS-2. I use the Cort and the Behringer when I want to play some hard licks and stuff, but I play blues and softer types of music using the 2nd setup. The amp can reach a wide variety of sounds, thanks to the speaker and amp settings listed above. I can reach the desired sound of whatever guitarist I want to. Ex: for AC/DC I use UK, Tweed, HiGain, the EQ cranked up (all set to 10) and Drive-5. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like most of the amps people keep home, it has no scratch on it, and because it is a solid state amp, there aren't any tube problems. As you know, Behringer is the cheaper version of Bugera amps, that is why on the back of the speaker in says Bugera, so if you are willing to buy some Bugera amps, know that it is not more than a $100 Behringer, but with a bigger and more beautiful case, and probably more buttons :D. The only problem I had was that one day I was "playing" with my soldering iron and left it over the amp's power supply cable. Note that I never unplug it from the socket. :D // 7

Overall Impression: I am happy I bought it (as my first guitar amp) because I like how it sounds (for the money, of course) and I never got problems, like the ones you get from the tube amps. If it was stolen/lost I would not buy it again, just because I would want to save for a better and bigger one. My wishlist: If I were to have much money, I would buy a Marshall JCM 900 (they're not that expensive, take a look and Google it) or a Fender '65 Twin Reverb. If I were to have less money I'd buy a Fender Frontman 212R or a Vox Valvetronix. // 8

V-Tone GM108 Reviewed by: rico163rpd, on january 08, 2016

Purchased from: Private

Features: 15 watt practice guitar amp. Single channel, analog modelling, instrument and CD inputs, headphone out. 8" speaker. Chinese made from the value brand Behringer. Modelling section provides simulations of 3 classic amplifier styles: American, British, high gain, with 3 variations of each; hot, high gain, clean, and further tonal variety by way of speaker type selection: US, UK or flat. Decent low mid and high eq knobs and drive and master volume controls give as much control of tone as any competitors offerings. // 8

Sound: For very little money, this amp provides a wide range of useful tones. My version has the original Behringer 8" speaker which performs very well with no discernible noise or adverse coloration of tone. I believe the later models have a Bugera speaker fitted as standard, widely recognized as superior. I cannot comment on comparison only to say that mine performs adequately as is. The modelling section sets this amp apart from more basic, mainstream small amps in that it allows the user to change the overall character of the tone. Although these modelled tones as with all amps of this nature are subjective and are rarely perfect recreations, they do still get in the ball park of tones it tries to emulate. I use a variety of guitars through the amp with all pickup varieties and configurations. I play all styles of music and this amp will provide useful sounds for any genre. Pure cleans to monster distortion and all in between. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This was purchased second hand and is probably over 10 years old. It has held up well cosmetically and still looks good. I have no fear of it falling apart. At 15 watt output it is not powerful enough for live performance without micing it up or possibly using the headphone output as a line out to be taking via a desk? I am using this as an unobtrusive extra amp at home for practice and running new ideas, so hardly an abusive environment. It's light, small size is very convenient for moving around. I have as much confidence in the reliability and durability of this as I do any of my most trusted gear. // 9

Overall Impression: These are available for very little money and represent incredible value. It will never replace a quality valve amp or be suitable for live performance but used in the manner it was designed for will not disappoint. The modelling section reminds me of the Sansamp and is a fair take on this by Behringer. It should be considered as a capable practice device allowing the user to match their guitar tone to the genre or track chosen. Consider this piece of gear as a reliable go to that will never let you down. I have no trouble in recommending this product. // 8

Comments