V-Tone GMX210 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 02/18/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Behringer: V-Tone GMX210
True analog modeling 2 x 30-Watt stereo guitar amp with 2 independent channels, each featuring 27 modeled sounds, FX processor, tuner and MIDI control.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 6,392
reviews (6) 5 comments vote for this gear:
V-Tone GMX210 Reviewed by: Chomp, on june 13, 2005

Purchased from: Billy Hyde's Music

Features: The V-Tone GMX210 is the middle-sized offering among the new V-Tone analog modeling stereo amps, featuring 2 x 30 Watts and two 10" Jensen/Bugera speakers with two channels, internal effects and tuner. This powerful guitar workstation boasts authentic V-Tone analog modeling for 3 classic guitar amps, 3 speaker simulation models plus 3 gain modes?all individually selectable per channel. There are two independent, full-featured modeling channels offering everything you need from clean to crunch to super-fat distortion sounds. The ultra-flexible FXT function allows independent effects settings on each channel. Our patented Dynamizer circuitry captures every nuance of your playing and lends tube-like compression to your tone. The integrated tuner is controllable via footswitch. The amp is certainly versitile for all styles of music. I play mostly metal. Pantera, System Of A Down, Ozzy, and I little bit of punk but since I got this amp it makes me want to play more metal. I use this amp in my room and it blasts, plenty of power. // 10

Sound: I just use a Squier Strat at the moment but am moving up to an Epiphone SG-400. The sound is great although it dosn't have as much presence as I would like it to. It almost doesnt come out of the amp as much, but when you turn it up loud you don't notice it's lack of presence. When this amp is on 4 or 5 volume it is loud enough to be able to play at a gig. I was very surprised with its amount of power. The clean channel stays really clean on high volume provided you don't have the gain on 10 for that channel. The amp can make a really bassy fat distortion sound with the right settings and a really nice clean and also a slightly distorted soft rock sound. The key is to play around with it for an hour or two, you are bound to find a setting that suits you. Although the amp on its own can get some great distortion sounds I have considered buying a distortion pedal. I feel that it could be a bit more "face melting" so I have considered it. I don't think I will go through with it because the distortion is still brutal on the amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I cannot really tell whether I can depend on it yet (I've only had it for a few weeks). I still play it alot about 1 or 2 hours every night (every chance I get) and the quality hasn't deterorated or anything like that. Just write down your favourite settings otherwise you are tempeted to look for more and you forget your favourites! // 10

Overall Impression: This amps features beat all of the amps in its price range. It suits all my music style and I can compare it to the Line 6 Spider and say that they are almost equal but have different areas in which each has better qualities. I would buy this amp again if it got lost or stolen but seriously, it weighs 10 kilos, and I dunno if anyone would be bothered to carry that down my stairs. // 10

V-Tone GMX210 Reviewed by: The Fiddler, on september 26, 2005

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Features: This is a dual channel amp with Jensen speakers. It include 3 modes and 3 models (British, US, Tweed, High Gain and Hot). It also includes a tuner and built-in effects processing, which wasn't too impressive and offers little variety. It does come with a channel switching and effects on/off footswitch. It lacked solid amp modeling options and the effects processors was a waste to be put into this amp. The amp could easily handle a small scale gig like at an auditorium. // 7

Sound: This amp is definitely for metal and hard rock players. The high gain channel ooffers almost excessive amounts of crunch and distortion. But for clear overdrive, it is lacking. It also fails the make the grade for other musical styles. The tweed model on high gain is the smoothest setting and is the only setting that isnt overly distorted. But none-the-less, its very fuzzy and distorted at high volumes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The back is open like most other amps and the wiring can come loose and requires soldering if it is abused. Otherwise it's a rather sturdy amplifier. It would definitely hold itself at a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: A very disapointing amplifier since it offers very little musical style variety. This is soely for high distortion playing. // 7

V-Tone GMX210 Reviewed by: erle_vaughan, on february 18, 2009

Purchased from: www.bidorbuy.co.za

Features: The amp was made in july 2004, ft. True Analog Modeling 2 x 30-Watt Stereo Guitar Amp with 2 Independent Channels, each Featuring 27 Modeled Sounds, FX Processor, Tuner and MIDI Control. I play punk, metal, thrash, blues and acoustic through it. using either my Ibanez RG-series or Washburn acoustic. It has 99 preset effects which can be modified to suit your tastes. you can store a diffent efect on each of it's two channels. Most users I have spoken to agree that the best feature on these model amps is the amp, mode and speaker settings giving you the option on each channel for tweed, british or calif. amp sounds; clean, hi-gain or hot Drive modes and flat uk and us speaker settings... this really lets you get the sound you are looking for... using these setting and some of the preset effect you can even generate a very decent valve sound. The integrated tuner is controllable via footswitch. I unfortunately Live in a block of flats so I don't get to crank it up much (it sounds great still on low settings, unlike other amps I have used), however when it does get out, it really can scream, at no stage of twisting that volume dial do you feel like it will break or blow the two quality Italian built original heavy-duty 10" JENSEN / Bugera guitar speakers. This amp brings the German and Italian design and perfectionism harmoniously together. // 8

Sound: I use either my Ibanez RG-series or Washburn acoustic. I would really love to put a strat or les paul through it to see what it has got, as a feel my Ibanez lacks big time on the high notes... e and b strings 12 and up really don't sound to good, but this is a guitar problem not the amp... when jamming metal, thrash and punk chords the amp riffs it does sound awesome and if you tweak the amp to the correct settings for the song it really does sound like the original. The patented* DYNAMIZER circuitry captures every nuance of your playing and lends tube-like compression to your tone. The amp handles the acoustic superbly I think it probably is the best amp I have ever heard for an acoustic. // 9

Reliability & Durability: it is tough as nails... mine has got some nicks and tears in the vinyl but other wise this guy will go everywhere... I have even had it outside in a fine drizzle with no problems... I once broke a jack of inside, but could easily enough get in there and fetch it out... the plug is a little loose now but all still works well. // 9

Overall Impression: For me this amp works very well, capable of making your ears bleed or playing quietly in the living room. The only thing I don't really like is the that knobs are plastic and don't have a nice feel like the marshal amps. It is good for gigging and practice. It also has a host of plugs on the back for slave in, tape in/out(stereo RCA's) AUX in, headphones, insert Send and receive as well as midi. // 8

V-Tone GMX210 Reviewed by: dm08, on july 10, 2006

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: Upgrading from my Fender 15 watt amp, the GMX210 is a beast. The sterio amp is super user friendly and east to get used to. After playing around with the settings for about an hour, I got a nice impression of the sounds I could get from it, and found my perfect tone. I play hard rock/metal, and the distortion is fantastic. Amp comes with a small, dodgy foot Switch to change channels and activate the effects, but very poorly. I suggest you buy another like I did. It has 2 channels, but it can sometimes be a difficult task making them both at the same volume, and you are sometimes left switching channels to find the clean indistinguishably low and the dirty very loud. You can get many different sounds, from a nice fat distorted tone, to a punchy, more attacky distortion. It has 99 built in effects, which aren't great and I can't say I use them alot, but these are just extras, and they are better than nothing in the end. The clean channel is not great, but is ok. This amp is mainly for use with heavy distortion. // 6

Sound: I am currently using a Fender Strat (professionally set up, sounds almost like an American) with the amp. It sounds nice, npt the ideal metal guitar, but it sounds freat through the amp on distortion, and I assume that it can only get better with higher quality guitars or guitars suited to metal. The clean channel isnt great and is just a waste of time. The amp has variety, but I wouldn't recomment getting it unless you are mainly into playing heavier music, hard rock and metal. The distortion, as I said earlier, is great. You can get many different types of distortion sounds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I've had it for only a week now, I can't really comment on this. // 10

Overall Impression: The reason I purchased this amp was mainly for the cost. If I could, I would get a higher priced amp in the 30 watt range. There are no other amps even close to the sound and quality of this one in this price range, at a recommended retail price of $305 AU. I love the distorion, it's just great and suits my playing perfectly. I have been playing for 2 years now, and upon upgrading to this amp, I find it is much easier to play into, i.e. tapping is much easier and pull-off/ons sound great. // 8

V-Tone GMX210 Reviewed by: greendaymatt, on september 05, 2006

Purchased from: Gear4music

Features: This amp has two indepependant channels, a 24 bit fx processor with 99 presets, a built in tuner, midi control, footswitch, 3 seperate gain speaker and clean modes. On top of all that it, it has all the usual stuff like headphones socket, slave in and out and a seperate volume for the in/out so you can play a backing through it luder or quieter than your guitar. IT is 30w and I use it mainly in my bedroom to practice but sometimes for mini-gigs, it has an awesome sound quality with practically no feedback and is easy to use. It goes loud enough beleive me. I upgraded from a 15w heap of crap so this was a huge step us and it was worth every penny of 140. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender strat copy at the moment on it and it sounds great, it suits my music style great with the extremely good distortion, doesnt't do clean as well though but you can still play clean stuff like jazz chords well enough on this amp. The distortion rules it s great for heavy metal so I would say if you like heavy metal, punk and that this amp is the right one. The FX have a great variety with delay, wah, standard reverb, stage and concert settings for gigs, and much more. THe sound doesnt't produce any unwanted suprises and it plays like a dream, but the I wish the clean was a bit better but for distortion there isnt better you definately won't need a Krank or distortion pedal with this amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: When I first got the amp it had to be taken because of a dodgy conection but after that it has been fine with no upsets, I would use this at a gig with no back up and om sure it would be fine but I guess that will have to be put to the test first. It gets a 7 because it had to be taken back once but apart from that fine. // 7

Overall Impression: I play punk rock and metal and rock so the distortion suits me awesome I've had this for about 3 months and no prolems and it still fun I play it everday for about 2-3 hours I don't own any other gear apart frm my guitar and amp but I can still play a huge range of stuff especially with the fx processor. I love the effects and the sound and tone I don't lke the fact it's so f--king heavy though hard to take out for stuff. // 10

V-Tone GMX210 Reviewed by: leftyconfused, on january 05, 2008

Purchased from: Rods Music

Features: This amp is great if you like different affects to try out. I bought it for that reason and know other it is awesome with a crybaby foot pedal. You can hook it up to record playback headphones it has midi jacks in the back for several hookups of stereo and recording equipment. This amp has all the power I need because I use it for personal use it is all the amp I need. // 8

Sound: I am using a Epiphone Les Paul 100 with hum bucker pickups it is versatile for what I want to play that is Blues Rock country. The clean channel is good even at high volume that is good. There is 99 settings for this amp it takes a minute or two to figure out what you like I have found 12 settings I like. The distortion can be set for a good sound but it does get funky at highest volume setting I had a good guitar player run this amp through the paces and wow what a all around small gig amp this would be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Hell yes I would use this amp for a gig the only problem I can see is the control knob stems are made of high grade plastic so this amp is not designed for the ruff handler. Durability and reliability is based on how you take care of your equipment it goes with out saying. You take care of your gear and it will take care of you. // 7

Overall Impression: I am learning the blues I haven't picked up a guitar in over 15 yrs now and all the new stuff that is out there is kick butt. I have a cry baby I also own a Takamine acoustic guitar that I had converted to left hander and a Epiphone Les Paul 100 electric guitar. I compared this amp to allot of others in the price range and this one suited me fine. I compared this to Fender and marshal and peavy but this was the amp I wanted I like to experiment with sounds that was the main factor in me buying this amp. I would buy this amp again the price was super. This is just my opinion go try one out for yourself. // 8

Comments